I understand your concerns but I doubt that such an expolsion would
happen in a jewellery workshop. First, the dust we usually produce is
fairly thick and heavy, I think that for the dust to explode, it
should be “pulverised” in the air ( in cylos, dust is so fine that it
looks like smoke), for such a fine dust, I see only investment
plaster (which I do not use because I don’t do castings).
Discussing such hazards is a good idea.
Because I have students (only one at a time) in my workshop, safety
is important for me. I keep various dust/fume masks, gloves, aprons
and goggles there. I also ask them to wear trousers and no sandals.
The first lesson is always a workshop tour with an introduction to
the tools and their safety rules. I warn them not to catch any
falling object for it could be hot or sharp or both. Besides, I send
them on a break every two hours or so keep there concentration level.
Appart from cuts and burns or acid spills, I think the main hazard
of our trade is what we cannot see or smell like lead or cadnium slow
intoxication Acid fume and unsufficient ventilation in an issue, or
the reaction between acids and patina or plating solutions if one
forgets the baking soda step… I was told that it creates
Personnaly, I keep a window open most of the time and leave it open
overnight when I go home, I regularly check on my torch and clean it
every now and then.
As I enamel, dust is my enemy so keep the place as clean as possible
and work with wet abrasives.
I clean the all workshop at least once a week, my pickle is set on
the minimum temperature to avoid fumes and has a lid and I preferably
use leadfree enamels and cadniumfree solders. Recently (thanks to
Orchid) I found tarfree pitch. All my bottles and jars are correctly
labelled. Besides, I keep food ansd drinks on the opposite side of my
workplace, by my drawing desk and wash my cup and plate always
separatly with a dedicated sponge (I do not allow the students to eat
in the workshop, that’s only for me).
I don’t really think about all my safety rules it all is in my
habits now but I noticed that I am always exhausted after a lesson
with a beginner because I have to be extra-vigilant.
Aix en Provence, France