Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Drawing extremely fine diameter wire

Good morning everyone. I have used a great many drawplates in my time and have recently acquired one that draws down to an extremely fine diameter. I need a loupe to see the last few holes in the plate. Are there any tricks to draw down wire this thin? I will be using 22k-24k gold and fine silver. I am expecting to have difficulties keeping the wire from breaking and even feeding it into the smaller holes of the plate. Anyone have experience drawing very fine wire?

To draw wire or not to draw
To draw wire or not to draw

Hi Sandy, I draw wire from ingots very often. Pour, roll, draw. Anywhere from 4mm down to .3mm which I use for welding with my pulse arc welder. Fine metals can be a little tough to draw because they want to stretch
And then break before they pull thru the die/plate. The key to any drawing of wire or tube is to file or roll a long gradual taper. And to anneal, of course. People often file to abrupt a taper-- I call them puppy noses-- which get pinched off by the pliers or draw tongs.

I grab the tip of the long taper and ease it thru the plate and then grab behind it where the meat is. The taper is only a leader.

And of course lubricants! Bur life, wax, even chap stick.
Good luck.
Andy
Please excuse any typos-- curse my clumsy digits…