Hi - we now live in a rural area with well and septic. You have a
couple of changes to look forward to.
With regard to septic, I simply do not flush or dispose down the
drain any of the chemical laden stuff I use. If it can be neutralized
and I do need to dispose of it, like pickle, first let it sit so that
all the fines are at the bottom. Those you add to the fines from your
sonic and let them evaporate and then add to your sweeps to refine.
Pour off the clear liquid and make it neutral with baking soda, and
lots of water. Then put it in your gravel driveway or in an area in
which you don’t intend to plant foodstuffs. A better idea is to keep
the pickle for granulation or copper plating. Mostly, you don’t need
to dispose of it at all.
Flux - I keep a covered cup where I rinse my brushes - I add water
as it evaporates. I’ve never had to throw it out. When I moved, I
just let it evaporate and filled it up after the move.
Liver of sulpher is good for my rose garden and when it dies, I
dilute it a bit and add it to the flowers which are really happy. I
live in a dry, somewhat alkaline area so the acids are always useful
The thing that got me is this - we have a good well and do not treat
the water. In the past in town, when tumbling, I’ve let the rinsing
solution sit for a week or two until it has been well used. Now,
without chlorine, the stuff has some organic compounds in it and it
gets moldy and stinks. The solution is to add a bit of Clorox to the
water when I mix a new batch. When disposing, I pour off the clear
parts and let the sludge evaporate and add to the sweeps for
As an aside, a jeweler friend had an unexpected reaction from his
refiner when he sent him several barrels of dried sludge from
tumbling gold. When they fired the batch to get to the gold, it
exploded in the furnace. Nobody was hurt, but you might mention the
risk when refining the sludge from tumbling. And it was worth many
thousands of dollars in gold when refined. It is definitely worth
FWIW, your experiences will vary.