Digital Caliper Question

I have a digital caliper that I purchased from A&A Jewelry Supple in '09. Recently, it started acting all psychotic. By psychotic, I mean it would give me a valid reading say 3mm for a 3mm stone and then the number would switch to something impossible like 59.7. Finally, it would switch to inches without me changing the reading. The battery is brand new. I’m thinking I should just put it in recycling but has anyone else had this happen? The product is made in China.

Thanks all,

Ellen Lyons

Hi,

I have had similar behavior relating to the “mode”…when this happens I do two things:

1. change the battery…if new, try another new one…(that sounds random, I know…)

2. I usually take a fine tweezer and very slightly and gently move/lift up that metal tab at the bottom of the battery compartment…for some strange reason that has usually solved the problem…

I have yet to buy new digital calipers…

also- I always check to make sure it is turned off when not in use…

Julie

2 Likes

Julie
Thanks. I also tried lifting up the tab and it worked but not for long. As for the battery…that’s an idea. I did break down and buy a new caliper and it’s easier to read.

Ellen Lyons

2 Likes

Buy a new one…Rob

1 Like

they cost very little. It’s 13 years old for goodness sakes

1 Like

I’m a fan of analog calipers. Mine is more than 50 years old - I inherited it from my father-in-law. It works flawlessly. Brand is Fowler.

8 Likes

I find myself using all of my measuring tools more and more as I document the processes by which I make jewelry, some of which I have made for years strictly by eye. I am left handed and find using a right handed digital caliper to sometimes be a chore, especially measuring inside diameters. I know that left handed models are made and will buy one the next time that I place a general order for tools and metal.

Thanks everyone. I reluctantly replaced the old psychotic one. Things don’t last like they used to…especially things Made in China. Anyway, the old one will be dissected for parts. I once dissected my old BlackBerry phone and made a ring out of the camera.

2 Likes

Sometimes they need to be reset. Look up your caliper online for resetting instructions.

I see digital calipers for sale around $20-25. My Brown & Sharpe digital caliper is over 30 years old. I also have a $25 Chinese made caliper that I use on occasion that’s 5 years old. If I had to replace it I wouldn’t mind paying another $25!
Don’t waste your time trying to troubleshoot a cheap caliper - just buy another one or bite the bullet and buy name brand.

FWIW, the tool company iGaging is phasing out their line of dial calipers in favor of digital. Their metrology tools are quite good enough for jewelry or the home machine shop. The remaining stock of dial calipers has been remaindered out and can be found on ebay for around $30 for the 6" dual Imperial/Metric caliper, which reads in 0.001" and 0.02mm. If you need greater precision go for a good micrometer that reads in 0.0001".
Personally, I prefer dial calipers to a digital ones. I even still use the Mitutoyo vernier caliper I bought in the 70s, which still reads accurately.

4 Likes

Save the battery!

I’m saving the battery and dissecting the old calipers for parts. New one bought and delivered. Thank you all for your feedback.
Ellen Lyons

1 Like

I love upcycling/recycling myself. Parts from analog watches make great steam punk jewelry additives.

Like I said, I have a ring for sale made from the cell phone camera from my old Blackberry that I ran over with my car. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds interesting, can you post a picture?

Rob,
Here’s the link to the ring on my website.

Cell phone ring

2 Likes

Cool!

Rob, thanks. I had so much fun running over the phone! Cathartic.

Rob,
Yes, as soon as I figure out how.

Ellen