[Digest Post] What to Ask For?

Hi Laura,

I am interested in producing a number of round boxes in sizes
ranging from about 1.5" to 8" in diameter and want to find
something to use as a form.

If you have a little lee way on the exact size, you might stop at a
local plumbing shop. They may have an assortment of pipe or pipe
fittings that will do the job. You may have to find a shop that does
commercial &/or industrial work since 8" is a little larger than
used in most domestic applications.


I am interested in producing a number of round boxes in sizes
ranging from about 1.5" to 8" in diameter and want to find something
to use as a form. 

Hi Laura! Think wood. Baseball bats, table legs, etc. The problem is
many of these come with a taper. They can still be used if you round
one end of the cylinder, then reverse and round the other end. You
can end up with a “bowed”, or slightly concave cylinder, though.
Access to a lathe would be beneficial. You might want to check with a
home improvement store or woodworking shop for heavy dowels or
cylindrical stock.

I made a round sterling box last fall (my first box) and it’s not as
easy as it looks. The ability to have the curvature at the join blend
smoothly with the entire circle is a challenge. If the box body isn’t
perfectly round, there is a definite orientation with which the lid
must be replaced. See a quickie photo:

In Tim McCreight’s Boxes and Lockets book, he recommends scarfing
(thinning) the edges with a hammer and creating interlocking tabs
that are then soldered. I didn’t bother, and in retrospect, maybe I
should have. A soldered butt joint may not withstand the stresses of
forming on the dowel.

Good luck! Dave Dave Sebaste Sebaste Studio and Carolina Artisans’
Gallery Charlotte, NC (USA) dave@sebaste.com
http://www.CarolinaArtisans.comFrom: LUCADENT@webtv.net

Laura, Are you looking for round boxes like (ball shape) or round
boxes like (cookie tins)?

Sincerely, Richard Lucas…

From: Jim jsmall47@earthlink.net

Laura - Pipe works well, and is available in a variety of
wall-thicknesses and metals. If you want something which you can use
as more than a passive mandrel, meaning you can form metal with
hammering, then I suggest thick wall stainless steel. I used to get
it at GE’s scrap yard in Schenectady, NY but that was well over 20
years ago. I still have pieces that I use periodically for forming
forged necklaces.

Jim Small Small Wonders

From: Don Rogers Don@Campbell-gemstones.com

laura, the best solution for forming round tubes, is a Slip Roll.
It is a setup with three rollers, all longer that the longest stock
you will use. The maximum diameter of the rolls will be slightly
smaller that the smallest tube you want to make. In your case, 1"
rolls would work well. The lower two rollers are fixed, and the
third adjustable and is used to adjust the diameter of the tube. It
also needs to be able to swing up to allow the removal of the tube
once it is rolled. You would then only need to solder off the joint
and finish it to thickness.

Where to find a small Slip Roll? I don’t know. I have never seen
one offered for jewelry work, but sheet metal workers use them all
the time. If you are going to do a number of the boxes, You could
easily make your own machine from hardware store parts.


From: Laurie Cavanaugh lscavanaugh@earthlink.net

Laura, You probably want to try an industrial metal supply house.
There are indeed steel rods and tubes in every fathomable size, and
you may get lucky and find suitable sizes in the remnant bin so that
you don’t have to pay full price plus a cutting charge. I live near
Riverside, CA and there is a convenient metal company (KH Metals)
just across the street from the only jewelry supply company in town
(Stanford Jewelry Supply). These won’t fit conveniently into your
bench holes, but you can clamp them firmly in a big vise.

Glad I finally have something to offer so I can come out of lurking.
I’m yet another extremely grateful person who has recently found
this incredible list and website. I got my first real paying jewelry
commission yesterday, so I hope to be contributing soon in more ways
than one. :slight_smile:

Laurie Cavanaugh Acanthusleaf Designs

From: “Mike Dibble” michaelnnewmex@earthlink.net

Have you thought about using pipe instead of rod?? I think it would
be a lot less expensive and easier to locate (8" solid rod could be a
real challenge to find). If you can’t locate an
industrial/construction metal supplier in your area, check with a
welding supply store. They should be able to give you the scoop on
anything you need, including someone who could cut or fabricate what
you have in mind.

Good Luck/Buena Suerte! Mike Dibble Black Horse Design

From: “Martina” merskine@vaxxine.com

Go to a metal supermarket,… (in an industrial mall near you!!)
They’ll have steel pipe in all dimensions and will cut you smaller
pieces (they might charge per cut, but no biggie.) Ours carries brass
as well,… but the steel is cheap and you can get round, square
rectangle ,…whatever. You can even get enormous washers that might
be easier for shaping a lid! If you think of getting into odd
shapes,… you can cut wood to shape first. (I’d go for hardwood, it
can take the banging. Have fun! Martina