I have some 24k gold powder which has been slightly contaminated with small particles of iron.
If I were you, I’d try a magnet. Get the strongest magnet you can
Make sure the mixture is dry & if there are any lumps in it
pulverize them so you truely hae a mixture of fine particles.
Spread the mixture out on a non magnetic surface (glass or ceramic,
etc) in as thin a layer as possible.
Keeping the magnet as close to the mixture as possible, but not
touching, pass the magnet over the mixture in from one end to the
other in overlapping rows until the entire surface has been gone
To ensure an even coverage, go over the mixture a 2nd time. This
time from side to side (at 90 degrees to the 1st).
This should method should remove the iron in the mixture.
Yuvak, The first inclination I’d have would be to use a magnet to
pick up all the iron particles, leaving behind the gold. You’ll
want to sift through it a few times to make sure you’ve gotten all
the iron out, but this should work, since gold is not magnetic.
Good luck! Karen Goeller firstname.lastname@example.org
http://www.nolimitations.com Hand-crafted and Unique Artisan Jewelry
From: “Brian Symons” email@example.com
If it isn’t mechanically bonded then use a magnet, that’s what is
done when making filings for soldering filigree work the “American
A lurker, Brian.
From: John Burgess firstname.lastname@example.org
G’day. Get a good magnet, cover it in tissue or polythene and
after making sure the powder is quite dry, drag it over the powder
until it picks up no more iron… Renew the covering when and if
– Cheers for now, John Burgess; email@example.com of Mapua, Nelson NZ
From: “Dan Statman” firstname.lastname@example.org
Use a magnet. Of course this will only work for your iron in the
gold and not silver.
Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs www.statmandesigns.com