Diana Ferguson - Jewelry Gallery

Precious metals, combined with intricate and time-consuming weaving techniques, are the building blocks for my jewelry designs. I’m a personal adornment sculptor and create out of my home studio in Phoenix, Arizona.

With a background in art history and studio art, I’m self-taught in jewelry making. I think of myself as a weaver, more so than a bench jeweler. I participate in select juried events throughout the year, primarily in the western and mid-western United States. I’ve been a full time artisan since 2007.

About the Work
My jewelry conveys an ongoing fascination with the idea of transformation and how objects of great beauty can begin with simple, even plain, components. In my work, wire on the coil becomes transformed into classic jewelry designs for women and men, using weave structures that are ancient, contemporary or out of my imagination. In some pieces, I let the beauty of the metal and the complexity of the weave stand alone. In others, I embellishwith a pendant I’ve sculpted from fine silver, an inlaid gemstone clasp or Swarovski pearls.

The Process
The creation process begins with sterling silver, 18k gold, 14k gold filled or copper wire, from which I create links of different sizes. Using these links as the basis for constructing the piece (hundreds can go into a single design) I select a weave or weaves to use. Some weaves are round or tubular to create dense chain; others are flat to create mesh. Once the weave is complete, I may leave the metal in its natural state, or manipulate it with oxidation or other surface finishing techniques. Finally, I add embellishments and closures. While the weaves are time-consuming and painstaking you could call it a labor of love the work is focused and meditative, which is my joy. The end result is distinctive personal adornment with wonderful tactile qualities and tremendous visual intricacies.

Anansie Necklace; oxidized sterling silver, 14ky gold filled; 18".

1 Like

Calliope Bracelet; sterling silver, oxidized sterling silver, 14ky gold filled; 7-1/2".

Calliope Bracelet; sterling silver, oxidized sterling silver, 14ky gold filled; 7-1/2".

Jacqueline Bracelet; sterling silver, fine silver; 7-1/2".

Jacqueline Bracelet; sterling silver, fine silver; 7-1/2".