I’m at that point in life where I have to pick out a diamond for an
engagement ring :o) and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I’ve received such differring quotes for prices that I’m not sure
whether I’m being charged out the wazoo or not (well, it’s my fiance
that’s paying for it of course, but…) I also have a couple of other
questions that I’d appreciate being answered.
Anywho, what I’m looking at is an emerald cut, probably VS1-2 and G
color. Can anyone give me an idea of what a good retail price for a
stone of this quality at 1.25 and 1.5 cts should be?
The stone that is currently on hold for me is one that I fell in love
with, but after thinking about things for a while, I’ve decided that I
should go for a better stone. It’s an emerald cut, but it’s almost
completely square (something like 5.5mmx6.5mm. It’s 1.09 cts, but I
wanted them to find a bigger one, but they can’t find one from any of
their cutters. Is this shape less valuable because of it’s odd shape?
The reason I loved it so much is because of the lengths of the sides,
the facets refract differently from a normally shaped emerald cut, and
it sparkled beautifully. What I’m unhappy about is that the first time
I went in that store, the gentleman helping us told me that the stone
had a G color. However, when I went back in a few days later, that guy
was out of town, so I was helped by another gentleman, who told me
that there was no way that it was a G stone. When he placed it next to
a G, the color difference was obvious. I feel offended that the first
guy gave me the wrong on the stone. My fiance also agreed
to pay the same price quoted to him when we thought it was a G stone,
without thinking about the fact that there’s no good way of knowing
the actual value of it. Any advice for me?
I also am thinking of getting one they have that’s VVS2, G color, and
1.14 cts. Truly a beautiful stone. I’m going to see if they can get in
1.25 and 1.5 ct VS clarity, G-color stones for me and see if I like
any of them more than the beautiful VVS2 one.
Also, is it worth the extra money to get a stone GIA-certified if a
stone doens’t have one already (for insurance and general value
I just wish my ring would come in already! grin
Thanks for all your help!
-Cortney in Pittsburgh, PA