Cuttle Pour Gone Wrong

What the heck happened here!? I’ve poured several ring bands and never had this happen…so I decided to try a cuff. It looks like the silver burned into the cuttle bone? Did I pour too hot? Other possibilities?
Another question…I use water glass on tufa stone to help prolong the use of the form. Has anyone ever tried it with cuttle bone?

Bruce

2 Likes

I have a box of cuddle fish, I was thinking about the same thing, so I want to see what others say about this. [quote=“bruahergmailcom, post:1, topic:67147, full:true”]
What the heck happened here!? I’ve poured several ring bands and never had this happen…so I decided to try a cuff. It looks like the silver burned into the cuttle bone? Did I pour too hot? Other possibilities?
Another question…I use water glass on tufa stone to help prolong the use of the form. Has anyone ever tried it with cuttle bone?

Bruce

[/quote]

Blockquote

Hey Bruce, I know that you simply see what happened as a mistake or an error, since it’s not the outcome that you were expecting, but I think that it looks Incredible!!! I especially love the detailed view of your second photo, to me it has a very Japonisme feel to it and I would have been truly delighted to have a casting unexpectedly turn-out like that!!! I’ll be more than happy to buy it from you, if you don’t want to keep it (if that’s allowed anyway), just let me know. Thank you for a very interesting post!!!
Jonathan B. Pons

3 Likes

Wow Jonathan that is so encouraging! Actually I already sawed the thing in half…but like you, I saw the interesting character in the portion “gone wrong” so I figured I’d salvage the good side a make a ring shank and from the other side I’ll probably make a pendant or an interesting ring. I think I jumped the gun too fast when I sawed it in half. Next time I’ll ponder it for awhile before acting so hastily! Thanks for the encouragement and enlightenment!
Bruce

4 Likes

Some of my best, or at least most interesting, designs were initially a mistake. I have had to learn to walk away for a while, maybe even over night, before I scrap it or try to fix it. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

I agree Rob; you’d think I would have learned that lesson when I used to forge custom knives. some of my “mistakes” turned out to be some of my fav’s!

1 Like

That looks pretty cool to me … You are definitely going to end up with a neat cuff, regardless of this happy accident!

Some of the greatest innovation has been discovered by accident

• I think you way overheated the metal … I have personally cast a ton of cuttlefish pieces … usually the issue is flashing out holes because I tried to cast too thin. Casting gold will do that to a person , esp at todays prices!

I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with here!

Cheers

TerryV

3 Likes