Comfort pendant

What a lovely memorial.

Thanks Joā€¦

Thank you.

xoxoxo.

Condolences, Jim. Losing a beloved pet does leave a hole in your heart. May all those fond memories bring you some comfort.

in Sympathy, Judy in Kansas, who still morns the last kitty child we lost several years ago.

Thanks Judy,
Also Iā€™m still feeling for Alec who started the thread with the great pendant he made when he lost his catā€¦
Thanks to all.
Itā€™s great to see the hearts come out when needed.
Best to all,
Jim

I just saw this thread and it is very timely for me. I just lost an 18 year old cat, best pet I ever had, last week. I know this may sound strange, but does anyone know how to incorporate a tiny organic object like a claw sheath or piece of whisker into silver, or some other medium that can be worked into the design of a silver piece, other than imbedding in resin as a cabochon or putting it in a locket? I donā€™t want to visually see the object; I just want to know itā€™s ā€œin thereā€.

I would prefer something where itā€™s permanently fixed. Itā€™s ok if it breaks down due to heat or other processes. I can recycle silver and make ingots. Iā€™m just not sure if itā€™s possible to incorporate it into melted silver. Besides, how would I know if the part of the ingot I roll out and use contains that part, anyway?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Iā€™m open to working with other media - although I do not have the tools to work in precious metal clay.

Hi Lisa,

Iā€™m truly sorry to hear of your own loss.

Iā€™ve thought about this a fair bit in the past, a reliquary. My notion was always to incorporate something using a cold connection so I would know it was ā€œin there.ā€

One of my preferred ideas was to insert something into a bracelet toggle fashioned from sterling tube thatā€™s crimped closed at each end. A snip of whisker would fit this perfectly.

Best,
Alec

Hello, Lisa. Iā€™m sorry about your kitty. It sounds as if he or she had a very good life with you.

It might be possible to ā€˜rentā€™ a kiln-firing of metal clay by a local metalsmith or lapidary guild. You could check Rioā€™s list of PMC instructors to discuss this approach with one who is near you.

Itā€™s also possible to torch-fire some of the metal clays on a tripod-mounted screen, though Iā€™ve never tried it.

One method I had done for me years ago by a local jeweler was to sandwich the memento between two layers of crystal (glass, quartz) and enclose the edges of the two layers with a bezel, giving a two-sided see-through pendant.

Sadly,

Lorraine

Just an idea for you Lisa: @RioGrande has a nice locket in 3 different metals which opens to insert any small objects. It is transparent.

Thank you so much for all of your great suggestions! This has really got my gears turning. When I get to working on it, Iā€™ll post the result. Thanks again.

This is simple as well a piece one would choose to wear all the time! Very nice design.