Coloured Moissanite

Does anybody know anything about the process used to colour Moissanite? I’m particularly interested in blue Moissanite, but I’m not sure whether it’s merely a surface treatment or whether the colour goes all the way through the gem.

Helen
UK

Hello Helen,
According to the Amora website, their blue (blue-green, really) moissanite is through colored blue at the time of synthesis, whereas other blue moissanite is indeed coated to produce the blue. I think you could probably see blue coating on immersion in an immersion fluid, but I’m not sure because the RI of moissanite is so high. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Thanks for your reply Roy.

Helen Hill

Helen,

To some extend, internal colour change can be possible through heat treatment. Whereas surface treatment also in practice at market which is not lost longer comparing to internal colour change. This is due to surface coating can’t with stand to much chemical exposure which is essential in jewellery making. Nevertheless to say, that heat treated one is higher price than a surface coated.

-MANIMUTHU

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or delete this email from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. The opinion expressed in this mail is that of the sender and does not necessarily reflect that of Titan.

WARNING: Despite best possible precautionary measures taken by Titan Company Limited, computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check and scan this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Titan Company Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Thanks Uma.