According to Lange's Handbook of Chemistry, 12th Edition, page 4-107
and Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 82nd Edition, p. 4-83, silver
permanganate (CAS Reg. No. 7783-98-4) is violet to dark violet
monoclinic crystals, solubility in water of 0.9 grams per 100 grams
of water and decomposing in 95 percent ethanol. It doesn't look
like it would be inert enough to be useful on jewelry. Since you
are a DDS, I know you have had sufficient chemistry to be aware of
the explosive hazards of permanganates. I blew up a burette right
next to the Professor in a quantitative analytical lab one time. I
was trying to clean the thing with a conc. sulfuric acid/potassium
permanganate solution when the classical sodium dichromate/ sulfuric
acid mixture was not effective. The thing went off with a heck of a
loud bang and totally shattered the burette. Fortunately, no one
was hurt or sprayed with acid. I was holding the burette down in a
deep soapstone sink.
"Marlinespike Seamanship in Precious Metals"