Clear electroplating to protect brass jewelry?

I love the color and tones of brass in my jewelry and wonder if anyone has experience electroplating a clear coat on their pieces? I’m having trouble finding a plater who’ll do it over brass because of how quickly it can tarnish/discolor on its way to them, and am wondering if I should invest in an at-home plating system?

I’ve tried lacquers and Renaissance wax, but find that it all wears away so quickly. I’m hoping for something that can go on thicker and more evenly.

Any input or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

CERAMIX Nano-Ceramic E-Coating, Transparent. Search it on riogrande.com.

Thanks for the link. It looks like I’d need to invest in all the equipment, too, but maybe that’s my only option at this point.

“The e-coating process, also known as electrophoretic deposition or electrocoating, involves submerging your material in a water-based paint or epoxy solution. Technicians send electrical currents through the liquid, causing suspended particles to deposit on the material’s surface. When the technician is satisfied with the thickness of the coating, they rinse the material and move it to a curing oven”

This is something I always intended to try for my silversmithing raised bronze items, but never got round to trying before I retired. You might find something of use therein. I know that some of the costings are completely transparent.

1 Like

I have done some research into e-coating, but I can find how or if you can mask parts of the piece so that only those areas that you want to be are coated…Rob

1 Like

Yes, I’m thinking this might be the way to go!

I think I might just need to suck it up and dive right in! No better way to find out than playing around.

Electro plating is only molecules thick and will wear away. Baked lacquer is stronger, but it’s semi permeable and the brass will eventually tarnish underneath it. And I can testify that it’s a total bitch to remove.
Renaissance Wax is really made to protect objects that will be displayed and not handled. A good paste floor wax or a really good car wax are made to handle being walked on and/or have door dings issues. Old school Johnson’s Paste wax works but can be smelly. Jeffery Herman the great silver restorer turned me on to Meguiar’s car wax. It’s still not permanent but will hold up very well. I use the liquid spray but they also make a paste wax that might be even more durable. Wax & Protect - Paint - Exterior - Car Care

3 Likes

Can confirm car wax is awesome. I use it on all my copper-alloy pieces. Carnauba wax is also non-toxic to apply vs Renaissance Wax which emits benzene vapor. Something that bothered me to use it on jewelry. Meguiar’s is great.

A more permanent option is to clear-powder coat. That will last an absurdly long time but I don’t know much about how to do it and imagine it’s not an easy process.

1 Like