Cleaning wax off of burs

I’ve just started making gypsy settings, and find the my burrs get all mucky with the beeswax I use. I’m continually using a brass wire thing to clean them. Is there an easier way?
Thanks for all input!

I recently switched to paraffin wax, because beeswax was getting really gummy for me as well.

2 Likes

Do bees wax behave different on burs than with sawblades?

1 Like

beeswax is expensive! paraffin wax is cheap!

1 Like

Most every jewelry tool company sells some version of bur lube designed for what you’re doing. As far as I can tell, they all work the same way. Bur Life, Stay Sharp, Pepe Lube, etc. I prefer any of those to beeswax or paraffin. They all work well and clean up easily. Anyway, that’s what I use.

Jeff

4 Likes

I got some of that stuff but it is so messy and leaves a ton of dandruff like flakes everywhere, is mine bad?

4 Likes

Thank you all very much for your responses. I DO have some burlife of some kind (doh, the name should have clued me) and will start using it.

Perfect! I’ve been feeling too stupid to put the question out there (might be one of those things everyone knows but me) and I truly appreciate having this venue for information.

Mary Jo

3 Likes

Bur lube is designed to melt at a low temp and be very liquid, but still be oily enough to be a bur lube. I don’t know if it degrades with age?

I know Rio Grande sells a liquid bur lube version.

I kind of remember that oil of wintergreen used to be used as a bur and graver lube. I just checked. Some websites say that oil of wintergreen is a cure-all for a variety of ailments, but others say it’s toxic, so I’m not recommending it. Just saying that it used to be a common lube.

I always say, that whatever works for you is the right answer. So Brennan if you like paraffin then that’s what’s best for you.

Cheers!

Jeff

2 Likes

Oil of Wintergreen and Oil of Peppermint are both used as a lubricant for engraving, as they are very thin. I also use peppermint oil as a lubricant for drilling. But you have to be careful to use only the tiniest amount on a drill or bur as it will burn like a bastard if even the tiniest drop flies into your eye.
I keep a small covered glass tray filled with cotton soaked with the oil. Touching the tip of the graver or drill bit to the cotton puts just the tiniest film of oil on the tool, enough to lubricate but not enough to fly off when the drill spins.

2 Likes

I never use bees wax because it clogs. I exclusively use paraffin wax for burrs, drawing wire, and drill bits. It’s dirt cheap and most grocery stores carry it in the isles that have spices, baking, and canning supplies. One box will last a lifetime. The blue burr life makes a huge mess and it’s expensive too.

3 Likes

Looks like I’ll have to give paraffin a try!!

Thanks for the tip! There’s always more to learn.

Jeff

2 Likes

Hi,
I put a bit of oil in a low container…barely cover the surface…and sometimes with a sponge…i touch the burs/ drills to it to lubricate…

jeff, good warning about caution to prevent oil from flying…

i shall try paraffin next…

julie

2 Likes