Clasps, clasps, clasps

I started making a trigger clasp last week by cutting an old one in half and copying the parts. Its still sitting there, and now im on to a clasp thats like a hook but has a soring loaded button. My first spring coul was snug as told, but refused to push down with enough spring. Im usung stainess steal so am i coiling too tight?
Oh i did a box clasp and conquered that with ease. Yay.

1 Like

I dont know why they are sold so cheap…they are tough and exhausting to make lol

2 Likes

Heres where ive gotten. I had to restart twice, but i finally got it.

1 Like

Hi,
so funny! it must be something in the air! clasps, clasps, clasps!

i am also working on a clasp…of sorts…a hinged enhancer bail for a pendant i have done in CAD…i want it “fixed” (ie: no jumprings), hinged, with a safety…i may end up fabricating it, but thought i would give it a go in CAD…the positioning is proving a bit challenging…

i bought a few hinged enhancer bails that might work…from Australia…and the UK…what i was looking for was hard to find…

julie

1 Like

I decided a few years ago that making mechanical clasps was something there wasn’t enough time for me to excel at doing. I enjoyed the time I spent in figuring out the how of it but they were so time consuming I just couldn’t justify the time with the price of the piece. I don’t make many chains or bracelets that require a clasp so I use a hook and ring with an interference fit.

Good luck with your project. Enjoy the process of learning. As for me: I would like to find a dependable pin back that I trusted to hold brooches without worry.

Don Meixner.

2 Likes

Another update. Wew. Im on to the part i failed at last time, the spring and positioning it.

3 Likes

Its for sure great for learning but not enough money for all the work.

1 Like

Hi Kimberly,

I applauded your persistence, it will serve you well.

Keep in mind that this is your first foray into making clasps and there’s a big learning curve. Things always take more time in the beginning. Making a single component also takes more time than making multiples.

If a tutorial would be helpful, Richard Salley has an online Clasp Class that includes a spring clasp.

Pam

2 Likes

Machine made is why they can sell them for less. Here’s a quick YouTube video.

2 Likes

This is my idea of a dependable clasp.

Don Meixner

3 Likes

Thats what i was going to do then decided to challenge myself and it for sure has

1 Like

Dang look at that, all that hard work I did in seconds LOL

1 Like

congrants on your finished product post… making mechanical clasps from scratch is challenging…having done it once, are you going to do it again and again or settle for a premade one… the latter saves time… doing it the hard way is a learning experience… I’ve made box clasps for heavy silver and gold bracelets… the tongue has to be work hardened for springiness, but not enough to embrittle it… it’s delicate work… again, congrants!

1 Like

I think I’m going to keep at it as I learn because you learn a lot of interesting things as you’re learning to do these

1 Like

making a variety of clasps from scratch is a great way to learn… it’s not cost effective in terms of your time if you are doing it for commerical sales. But if you are doing it as a hobbyist, it’s well worth the learning experience… Having made one once, the second one will go much faster… it’s still delicate and precision work. You can try your hand at making other kinds of clasps from scratch also… but keep in mind that it’s not the clasp that counts, it’s the quality and design of the finished product that hangs from the clasp that counts the most. Good luck, sounds like you’re having fun… enjoy!

1 Like