Cast silver has a rough surface

I am making an item for a relative -she has designed it and is paying for the materials. The main piece is quite a chunky piece of silver . It has come back with a slightly rough surface that I can’t seem to sand off. It is almost a satin finish but I want it shiny.
Could it be porosity? I haven’t had any thing back from the casters like this before but I’m an amateur and haven’t been working in wax for very long.
Tried to post an image but looks as if it didn’t load.

It does look like there is surface porosity. Have you already tried filing, sanding and polishing it out? Sometimes it’s just on the surface.

Jeff

2 Likes

Thank you Jeff

I had sanded it but I did it again more thoroughly given your advice and I did manage to remove it. I’m glad I wasn’t doing this for money as it took me ages to get it all off.
Without your advice I would have had no idea it might just be on the surface. :grinning:

2 Likes

Very glad it worked out!!

Jeff

Sorry to come to this so late but, this might be useful for you.

When the surface looks like the picture you are showing, we would burnish the metal first, and then emery the surface or possibly light filing on the surface. This compacts the metal, closing the small space or holes. Depending on size and extent, we’d use different rotary burnisher that we would make from old burs. We would use this method on light porosity, also. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMIxvzs_tviNVclzTFcb0VwkT3hNPebJ8AcaWuH