Calling all 3d Printed Resin Experts. (Material Jetting question)

Hello everyone,

I’ve recently discovered how my 3d created models can be PolyJet (material jet) printed which is much higher definitions than standard 3d printing like SLA.

The problem I found is that when I try to find 3d printing services in the U.S. that are online friendly like 3d Hubs, the only people that seem to have or offer Material Jetting (Poly Jet) printed models in castable resin are all overseas. It takes FOREVER to get the models from Greece which is the closest provider I found.

Does anyone know of American 3d printers who can print with photopolymer resin of which some are castable for Poly Jet method? The models come out perfect and because they are a resin, they don’t break in transit like every single one of my wax models do.

The printers are almost all made in American so this confuses me. One is the Projet 3500 HDMax which is an American based company printer that I get models made in India from.

Thanks and happy jewelry making

Hi
castable resin
I am making many pcs

REGARDS
Kapil Jain
CUSTOM CAD JEWELRY DESIGNER
Importer , Exporter Gems & jewelry
KAPIL JAIN JEWELRY DESIGNS

http://in.linkedin.com/in/kapiljainjewelerycaddesigner/
+919829523161

1 Like

Thanks but my main question was about whether there were Poly Jet (Material Jetting) castable resin printing services in the United States. I appreciate the offer but I do have a service provider I use in New Delhi and one in Greece as well. I’m looking to see if there are any in the U.S.A.

Your prints look great though! I see it’s a photopolymer castble resin? What kind of machine do you use?

Hey RickPowell, your best bet for high quality 3d prints that are castable is from Solidscape machines. In my opinion they are the gold standard in jewelry. Projet machines are very good as well but I like Solidscape machines. Reach out to any casting house in NYC, they will help you out. I use Pafco. You can also try Carerra Casting, they are the so called “best” in NYC but are super expensive. I prefer Pafco. Other companies are Xomox, Cad Blue, Riva Precision.

1 Like

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me about Solidscape machines which I have received great samples of in the past. Those are easier to find being used in U.S.A. so you are right.

Of those companies you mentioned, which one is the most friendly for just printing a model and sending it to me than fully casting? I’m a hobbyist who does not really sell my jewelry so I have budget issues.

My only issue with that is I think they are all wax and not castable resin? Since I successfully cast models that are castable resin using R & R Ultramax white, I’d prefer to stay with resin than go back to wax which breaks so easily during shipping. It’s so much easier for me to hand castable resin models, I think because my 3d models usually have delicate parts that are too small to simply weld back on if they break during shipping.

I’ll do some research and see if any of the SolidScape machines use a castable photopolymer resin, maybe some do but I think they are mostly wax.

Thanks for the idea!

Fair enough, yes Solidscapes waxes are very delicate. They don’t use castable resin, only wax.

All those companies would print a model only, no need to have it casted by them. I would reach out to Cad Blu. I think they can help.

ב"ה

Because Orchid cuts all previous messages, I don’t know what you were asking, but I’ll answer what I think you may be asking.

I do 3D printing at a local library. They use a plastic resin. They only charge 10 cent a gram (the cost of the material) so I can work out bugs in my 3D prints that way. When I like what see, I print it from Shapeways. They are not cheap – they do offer a large selection of materials for the print from plastics to base metals to silver, gold and platinum.

Debbie

RickPowell

May 23

Thanks but my main question was about whether there were Poly Jet (Material Jetting) castable resin printing services in the United States. I appreciate the offer but I do have a service provider I use in New Delhi and one in Greece as well. I’m looking to see if there are any in the U.S.A.

Your prints look great though! I see it’s a photopolymer castble resin? What kind of machine do you use?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Sent: May 23, 2018 2:55 PM

To: compugraphd@earthlink.net

Subject: Calling all 3d Printed Resin Experts. (Material Jetting question) [Jewelry Discussion] [Ganoksin Orchid]

Links to all my stores at:
https://www.facebook.com/CompugraphDesigns?sk=info
Talk to me about custom designed merchandise!!!!
1 Like

Great ideas, I was excited when Shapeways first came out with wax as a material but they canceled that so it’s not available anymore. They have good prices, but I just ordered a very simple bronze piece and it took nearly 6 weeks. That was a little unusual, I think it normally takes about 4 weeks for me to receive anything from them.

I guess I’ll just stick to my printers in New Delhi and Greece for now as they are quicker than Shapeways now that reminded me of them! So you helped me, thanks :slight_smile:

Another issue I learned with Shapeways is that their system automatically rejects a lot of my designs. This never happens with other printer services but I’m sure a few times my designs were the faults.

The funny thing about Shapeways is that they canceled the wax material but they still will sell you gold, silver, bronze, or platinum pieces. I asked them how are they making it and they said they outsource the wax printing process, and the make them into the metal.

So I wonder who is doing all the wax printing for Shapeways ? LOL

Can you tell me how to find Cad Blu on the internet? I think you are right I would like them as they carry the printer I really am impressed with… (3DS Systems ProJet 3500HD Max). That is a bad ass printer, the best models I’ve ever received in resin. I have to admit, the best wax models I’ve ever received were from the top line of Solidscape.

When I looked for Cad Blu, I only found a site that seems like they sell 3d printers, not offering any services. Maybe I have the wrong site/company?

I used to order 3D prints through them when I worked for a Jewlery manufacturer. It’s worth it to reach out to them and see if they will do prints for you or they might recommend someone who they sell 3D printers to, specifically the one you like.

ב"ה

Since I can’t afford the metals so much and I don’t have a regular place to sell things, I don’t get a lot of metal pieces – maybe one to three every 4-6 months. Still hoping to sell them :slight_smile:

Debbie

RickPowell

May 24

Great ideas, I was excited when Shapeways first came out with wax as a material but they canceled that so it’s not available anymore. They have good prices, but I just ordered a very simple bronze piece and it took nearly 6 weeks. That was a little unusual, I think it normally takes about 4 weeks for me to receive anything from them.

I guess I’ll just stick to my printers in New Delhi and Greece for now as they are quicker than Shapeways now that reminded me of them! So you helped me, thanks :slight_smile:

Another issue I learned with Shapeways is that their system automatically rejects a lot of my designs. This never happens with other printer services but I’m sure a few times my designs were the faults.

The funny thing about Shapeways is that they canceled the wax material but they still will sell you gold, silver, bronze, or platinum pieces. I asked them how are they making it and they said they outsource the wax printing process, and the make them into the metal.

So I wonder who is doing all the wax printing for Shapeways ? LOL

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Brought to you by:

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Sent: May 24, 2018 6:04 PM

To: compugraphd@earthlink.net

Subject: Calling all 3d Printed Resin Experts. (Material Jetting question) [Jewelry Discussion] [Ganoksin Orchid]

Links to all my stores at:
https://www.facebook.com/CompugraphDesigns?sk=info
Talk to me about custom designed merchandise!!!!
1 Like

Wow, Shapeways stopped castable wax? In the early days before I bought a 3D resin DLP printer, I used their services quite a bit. That’s a shame because when I have problems getting a good print on my printer, I would turn to Shapeways to bail me out.

Only thing I didn’t like about their waxes was the resolution. I could see visible step lines in many of my prints and there was also the issue with the occasional print failure if it was too delicate for them not to break it during the cleaning.

Hello Richard,
You can contact Imaginarium in Mumbai India,they are according to me one of
the largest 3 D printing service provider here having all types of 3 D
printers under one roof,from a small piece of jewellery to a large
industrial part they are equipped to take on any job, including printing
and finishing in various metals like brass,silver,bronze and even gold .
You can go through their website to see what they offer.
Regards
Khushroo H.Kotwal

I found a great Material Jetting printer with the best prices hands down and does not require that you have a Tax I.D. StarWax in L.A. California. Their prices were half the cost of all other 3DS or SolidScape printers in the U.S.A. And I don’t mean they beat the prices of the Diamond District, NY 3D printers/casters. They even beat the prices of the one and only Material Jetting printer that I know of in Florida.