Buying draw plate tips

HI,

I got this Pulling winch from Dutton-Lainson, primarily because it had a quick-change (removable) handle, which I wanted, for storage purposes.

the price seems to have gone up quite a bit since I purchased it. It was hard to find at the time, due to supply chain issues.

I also got this strap:

and this Milwaukee Vise Grip Plier, with the red eye nut, to attach to the strap hook with a carabiner:

I had a 90 degree bent piece of steel, with bolt holes, fabricated, to hold/ brace the drawplates.

and use shop clips to hold the drawplates in place.

Julie

1 Like

Willieā€¦There is a recent conversation in the archives where we discussed various ways that home made draw benches can be made. In addition to the good information that Julie has provided, you might do a search within the last yearā€¦Rob

Try this link.

1 Like

Thanks Rob - you are always so helpful and supportive!
I was about to confess that I still havenā€™t worked out how to get into the archives and then you gave me the link.
I wish I lived next door to you - reckon you would be a fun neighbour!!

Glad to help when I can and appreciate the help that others give to meā€¦Rob

Cool! Thanks, Willie, for sharing that tidbit of useful info. Iā€™ll check it out. :+1:

Cheers,
Tammy

Ottofrei thtas where i got all the drawplates and yes they are not ship but will last for 300 years ,also do not buy carbide drawplates the inserts tend to break if you skip e to 4 numbers drawing wire like i do get the regular italian tool steel platez

1 Like

do not buy draw thongs on ebay , you are going to waste your money ,they ate junk , not made of tool steel and they will strip after 3 times grabong the mayerial get the german made drawthongs ottofrei sells in their website .those are the best i have tested so far even better than the durston draw thongs . carbide insert drawplates are ok if you are not doing thick wire and go easy with them , the carbide inserts tend to break if you skip 3 to 4 holes drawing thick wire with the italian draw plates that ottofrei sales you eont have that problem , they are well made with tool steel and will last 300 years

1 Like

In a pinch you can take an old pair of vise grips and add an eye bolt to do the same thing. I worry that there isnā€™t a lot of pinch area for the vise grip to hold on to the tapered piece of wire prior to drawing it. You also kind of squash it when you get a hold of the wire and the sharp edges can cut the wire before you draw. A good pair of draw tongs kind of ease on to the taper and the shape of the jaws are, by their design, tapered with less chance of a sharp edge cutting the wire. My tongs have both ends of the handle curved in the same shape and I use a heavy steel ring ( from Tandy Leather) to pull the tongs. The shape of the ring will slowly pull the handles together tightening the grip of the tongs on the wire. In the end we do what works or maybe first works and we donā€™t look any further. If the vise grips with an eye bolt works for you, look no furtherā€¦Rob

1 Like