Buying a shop scale

Hello all,

I am looking to buy a scale for weighing investment, waxes and metal; I don’t need a carat scale as I am not working with stones.
The previous conversations on this topic are several years old and I was hoping to get testimonials on current models/brands.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Best
Heather

There are many scales to choose from. I’ve been using this one for close to 2 years and am quite satisfied with it. It weighs up to 17 lbs. 9 oz. / 8000 grams and is sensitive to 1 gram.

I have never used the % function so can’t speak to that.

Neil A

1 Like

Neil,

thanks for the suggestion! Also I appreciate the insight about the covered buttons, that will be important when working with the investment.

I’ve got the same one! It is really nice. You’ve also got the option of plugging in or using batteries, so if you need to move it someplace out of reach of an outlet it’s nbd.

It also works better in what I guess you’d call a “dynamic” weighing situation than some other models I’ve tried. I used to have a process (different industry) where a unit of product was placed on the scale, then you pulled some off into a smaller lot by watching the weight. Some scales don’t seem to update fast enough and it gets annoying, but this one kept up fine. I’m not sure if that has any utility in casting operations but to me it seems to be an indicator of overall good functioning and accuracy. Also I’ve checked the calibration a few times over the years and it’s always been dead on, no maintenance required.

I have used an old triple beam balance that I found in the trash when I was teaching science in the 70s. I took it home and fixed what put it into the trash and I have used it ever since. I check it once in a while with a set of gram weights that I have and it has stood the test of time very well. I do have a small digital scale that I use off site. The triple beam stays pretty much in the same place all the time…Rob

Thanks for your feedback!