Buy a drawbench or make one

if you want to buy a very good quality set of drawthongs this are the best i have found on the market now , made in germany and ottofrei sells them this are the ones i use on the big drawbench i have if i want to draw very heavy wire i use this ,they are very well made and are made with tool heat treated steel they are very hard should last a life time and more

Hey Rob,
I think it was Sherlock Holmes (not Watson) who said, ā€œI never get your limits, Watson.ā€ It seems that years of crafting have led you to be rather adventurous and fearless as far as innovation is concerned. I can just see you heading downstairs with a twinkle in your eye, sayimg, ā€œNow letā€™s see, what can I try today?ā€ I am far more timid and need a push to try anythingā€¦

1 Like

More likely it is: ā€œWhat can I screw up today?ā€. Thanksā€¦Rob

youā€™re a puristā€¦ I was only a hobbyistā€¦ I drew my own wire but only 16 gauge as the thickestā€¦ thinner wires sufficed most applicationsā€¦ I tried to be a purist too and enjoyed rolling and drawingā€¦ a great learning opportunityā€¦ but since I did not make stuff to sell, just for my own pleasure, I ended up buying thicker stock as needed,ā€¦the only hitch was with bought goldā€¦ I liked to work with 22 and no less than 18K goldā€¦ bought tubing and other stock was 14K or lessā€¦ the amounts required were negligible but not what a purist would wantā€¦I also know that if I were in mass production mode, it would have been a pain to manually make your own stockā€¦

I screwed up a lotā€¦doing all and only fabrication workā€¦ but i took it as part of the learning processā€¦ especially if you are taught only the very basics in a high school jewelry class and returned to it as a hobbyist decades laterā€¦ when 12 man hours of work were ruined by pushing the limits by overheating something into a sagging fused mess I was naturally disappointed by chalked it off to experienceā€¦ no other option except to either quit altogether or hang yourself!!!..using mostly hardware store bought tools, and a few speciality hand tools, most people can learn to make sophisticated pieces that are technically difficult with enough trial and error, just using basic toolsā€¦ nothing ventured, nothing gainedā€¦ the worst thing that did happen to me was hammering a piece of gold with a 3 lb sledge hammer, on a full sized heavy anvil outsideā€¦ I lost my grip and an ounce of gold flew in the air, never to be seen againā€¦ but gold can be replacedā€¦ putting your eye out with a shard of metal canā€™tā€¦ safety first alwaysā€¦

thanks for contributingā€¦ youā€™re a professional and are cautiousā€¦ I was neitherā€¦ I enjoyed pushing the limits and occasionally paid for itā€¦live and learnā€¦
I think that all of us in metal working, be it precious, bronze or copper, or just backyard welding of scrap metal into a piece of furniture or free form sculpture appreciate how metal is ALIVEā€¦Forget about all of the technical stuff about phase diagrams and eutectic points and ternariesā€¦itā€™s the joy of turning something obdurate, using heat and sweat and occasionally tears (but not, I hope blood!) into something that is a work of artā€¦so far as precious stones are concerned, for me, it ultimately was the beauty of them and not necessarily the value nor the geochemistry behind them that counted even moreā€¦ when working with them, though, I did learn to use extreme caution in NOT pushing the limitsā€¦ cracking one stone while setting it was once too muchā€¦never again

wow thats a crazy story about the lost gold you where hitting with a hammer

yeahā€¦ what a surprize and what a disappointmentā€¦ looked everywhere to find it but a metal detector would have cost more than the piece of goldā€¦some lucky soul may find it somewhere buried in the dirt maybe even next doorā€¦ live and learnā€¦ never againā€¦ at least safety firstā€¦ I never set my hair on fire nor burned my lungs with toxic fumes from concentrated 37% saturated HCL or HN03ā€¦