Burnishing compounds

I’ve been using the old Rio 910 and 920 powder burnishing compounds which I can no longer find. I read somewhere that Rio’s Super Sunshine liquid burnishing compound can damage/degrade a rubber tumbling barrel. Has anyone had this happen? Thanks, Loretta

I read somewhere that Rio’s Super Sunshine liquid burnishing compound can damage/degrade a rubber tumbling barrel. Has anyone had this happen?

I don’t remember if it was the deburring or burnishing solution, but I had one of them attack the rubber barrel of a tumbler. I read online that if it happens to use the solution at half strength. That didn’t impress me. I switched to using Dawn dish-washing liquid for both processes.

I can’t find that half-strength information on Rio’s website now.

The bottle of burnishing compound I have says it is safe for neoprene.

Neil A

Rubber barrels are intended for polishing rocks not jewelry. Dishwashing soap is a poor substitute for a proper burnishing compound. To polish jewelry with steel, use a plastic type barrel and the appropriate burnishing compound.
I’m not aware of Rio’s polishing compound damaging rubber barrels.

Hi Judy,

Rubber barrels are intended for polishing rocks not jewelry.

I bought mine from Rio Grande, they are still selling at least one rubber tumbler barrel.

Dishwashing soap is a poor substitute for a proper burnishing compound.

What is your evidence for that assertion? The MSDS for the Rio burnishing solution says the solution contains citric acid, cleaning agents, surfacants, softeners, and inhibitors. Other than the citric acid, that sounds a lot like Dawn to me.

The melted rubber issue I experienced was a disgusting mess. ‘Proper’ formulation depends on the goals set for the formulation that may or may not coincide with my goals or equipment. For example, Rio’s deburring solution label says “This concentrate is specifically designed to be used with Sunsheen abrasive media.” I do not use that.

To polish jewelry with steel, use a plastic type barrel and the appropriate burnishing compound.

I’m sure that is excellent advice for people who will be purchasing tumblers in the future. I would follow that if I was starting out. But I have too much money tied up in the tumblers and barrels I have, so have no intention of discarding them to buy new ones to accommodate Rio’s solutions. I had blind trust in Rio’s solutions once, had a disgusting mess using one, and I no longer trust that their formulation decisions are appropriate for my equipment, which includes rubber barrels. That was the question I replied to, you will remember.

I did see on the Rio website once admitting that their solution may attack rubber, and to use it half strength in that event. That notice seems to be gone now. Either they removed that statement or they changed their formulation to address the issue, I don’t know which.

I have seen no fault in the results I get using Dawn, no damage to my tumbler barrels, no black gunk all over everything.

Regards,
Neil A

1 Like

Neil - here is the reference from Rio about rubber barrels - Getting the Best Results from Your Tumbling Barrels - RioGrande.
Please note that the use of Dawn is not recommended, also a caution about using strong solutions such as any dishwashing liquids. If you wish to use a soap in your rubber barrel, they recommend Ivory or a castile soap.
I find the plastic type barrels more useful for my work since I don’t ever have the problem with barrel lining breaking down and creating a mess.
There is a substantial difference between Dawn and a properly formulated burnishing solution. Check MSDS for each.

Hi Judy,

Thanks for that link. That was what I saw some years ago but couldn’t find last night.

I take exception to their blaming the issue on ‘lower end economy barrels’. Here is the kind of barrels I use, and I don’t call that ‘economy’:

Part of the description for the tumbler I use reads:

• Full Speed (barrel rotation 40 RPM): For burnishing and deburring all malleable metals or whenever steel shot is used as the burnishing medium.

At the time I started buying tumblers the Model B was the best choice for me. It has served me well. I use separate barrels for different media to avoid cross-contamination, and have had no trouble with them for many years.

I’m sure you know of the heavy gray triangular ceramic media for very aggressive cut-down. I’ve run 10 lbs. of that with no harm to the rubber liner.

That link does not say to avoid Dawn. Dawn is hardly caustic. As to the MSDS, both Dawn and Ivory are made by the same company, and from what I could see, have the same ingredients listed in their MSDS.

The only caustic ingredient I saw in any of the data sheets was the < 8% citric acid in Rio’s burnishing compound. I have the impression it is used to remove or prevent oxidation or scale on the steel shot. I have never had that problem on my steel shot. Quite to the contrary, is is so shiny and silvery I can have a very hard time finding smaller silver pieces in it! That is one ingredient I do not need.

Regards,
Neil A