Blanking dies

Does anyone know a place that makes custom blanking dies? I have an earring design that I keep getting requests for at a gallery. One of the components requires blanking twice, sawing, grinding, and then sanding. A blanking die would take out 90% of the work. The component is made of 24g sterling and is only about 1/2" x 3/4". The die would have to be used with a hammer (I don’t have a press).

Learn to do it yourself or look up Dar Shelton at Sheltec or Kevin Potter at Potter USA. Good luck…Rob

2 Likes

I have made a number of these dies from 16 gauge mild steel. You need to learn to saw steel with very fine blades (3/0 - 4/0). You also need to figure out how to cut at a specific angle. In the end, it is more just learning how to do it than difficult. I am not sure if you will be able to use a hammer, although 24 gauge is pretty thin. It might work in a heavy vise. Take a look at Hydraulic Die Forming for Jewelers and Metalsmiths by Susan Kingsley…Rob

1 Like

Dar Shelton at sheltech.net will make the die for you and will cut your metal as well.
Judy H

In theory any tools shop making press dies should be able to make a die for you like a disk cutter, punch and die type, nowadays using CNC Wire EDM but will be a pricey deal. To reduce cost Roger Taylor invented back in the 70s the so called “RT Blanking System” and there is plenty of info available if you Google it. The use of a hammer or not can be debated but a press or maybe an arbor press is better if the metal is thin enough.