Bezels Connected and/or Close Together

I have an idea for a pendant in Sterling Silver that will feature several cabs that are either connected or set close together. I’m uncertain of how to build the piece because once the bezels are constructed and positioned, it will be difficult (if they’re close together) or impossible (if they’re connected) to then set the stones and properly burnish the bezels. Any advice?

There was a recent discussion on this same question with several good suggestions…Rob

I think that one of the suggestions came from Lucy Walker…Rob

Rob,
I tried to find the thread that you were referenced. This is the closest that I could find, but it was a while ago.

Some good tips here, but I don’t think it is the thread that you mentioned.

One tip that I found for round bezel set stones that are close together is to use a bezel punch.

Most jewelry tool companies sell these in a variety of price ranges.

Jeff

That’s the closest post that I could find too. The suggestion that I remember was to add a small ring to the bottom of some of the bezels to act like a spacer. This will limit how close the bezels can get to each other when they are being soldered to the back plate…Rob

1 Like

I have seen it suggested that you design the backplate so you can bend the bezels apart at the backplate for setting and then bend back when set.
Bernie

2 Likes

Are the stones a regular shape or irregular?
You could always form the bezels to the stones, carefully deform the tops slightly inwards such that they maintain their individuality when being soldered.
Then after soldering, push them open and use a sharpened hacksaw blade or a sharp graver to separate them and set them with a punch.

1 Like

Yes. Whenever I make a piece that has stones close to each other with either prong settings or bezels I always bend the prongs or bezel away from their closest neighbor before soldering them into place. Other wise the solder will want to wick up and then you have to cut the two settings apart. And that usually doesn’t end well. They get thinned and weakened. After soldering the metal will be annealed and easy to move back to fit the stone. I usually straighten and set the center first while leaving its neighbor’s edge slightly tucked away to give room to set that stone. Once first stone is set, the top of the prong or bezel is in place with the top edge curved away from its neighbor thus giving me room to straighten the metal and set the next stone.

4 Likes