Bezel technique

Hi,

i find that for chasing actions i gravitate toward my little red stanley hammer (picked up at The Old Tool Sale…it is about 3/4” diameter cylinder…maybe 1-1/2” long…nice center mass…

julie

3 Likes

Hi there,

What and where is The Old Tool Sale?

Allie

Is the bezel fine silver?? Sterling can sometimes be springy and wont stay down when pressed down. Ive been using a bit thicker fine silver bezel annealed dead soft.

Brass can be harder still. A lot of different brass alloys out there, some mors springy than others.
Dead soft helps a lot.
Jim

2 Likes

Brass bezels are my bane

1 Like

Did not see this post until now… brass is hard and hard to work with…fine silver is a lot more compliant…
if you want to work in brass use dead soft…more zinc in the brass makes it harder and more brittle and harder to work with. If the gap is very small and you have strong hands,you could try stretching the bezel out in situ using a burnisher… tapping with a punch or hammer does it easier… just tap very lightly and stretch the metal evenly around the circumference of the glass until the ends meet.
If you’re willing to experiment and risk breaking the glass, do it!.. experience is the best teacher…
Let us all know how you solved your problem…

1 Like