First of all my apologies to Mark Williams but his post is just not
"Hey guys, Just a quick word of caution here.. Be VERY VERY
careful putting any kind of amonia products in your ultrasonic
even if they are diluted with water.. If you look at the MSDS on
amonia you will find that prolonged exposure will lead to lung
disease and if I am not mistaken I am pretty sure it is a
I carefully checked the MSDS http://hazard.com/msds/tox/f/q8/q361.html
and at the levels we use it, even the material you can buy from the
hardware store you’d have to drink it! Neat, undiluted and with gin!
I’m having a real go at people today… sorry. No disrespect
Look at the International Chemical Safety Cards at
http://ehs.clemson.edu/niosh/ipcs/ipcs0000.htm then go to ammonia
and get the full facts. Remember that this is for the pure gas stored
in a cylinder under pressure!
A mild solution of ammonia in water is not very toxic. Breathing in
the fumes will irritate the lungs, like a bonfire will, and cause you
to cough and your eyes to water. Ever heard of smelling salts?
No mention of carcinogenic effects except in lab animals and bacteria
at very high doses!
Will people please stop posting urban myths as fact!