I am shocked by the number of people posting that propane is
"perfectly safe." It is not. True, a small bottle will not blow up
your entire house, but it can certain pack a BIG punch if it does
A leak can be problematic as well as a full bottle explosion. At
least in the U.S., propane has an added garlic smell, so you should
notice the smell if you have a leak. If you do, remove the tank from
the house and open doors and windows. Do not turn on any lights or
other things that may spark until the smell is gone.
If a propane bottle were to fall over and the valve break off, you
would have quite a projectile that could kill you or anyone in its
path as it flies at high speed expelling the gas. This suggests that
the tank should be secured in some fashion so that it cannot fall
over - especially in your car.
I have had propane stoves and furnaces in my house for many years,
and I have had a couple explosions from the pilot lights. They were
certainly not fun, and they were just from a small amount of the gas.
One burned off my eye brows, singed my hand, and ruined a good
sweater. The other simply gave me first degree burns all over my face
and hand. Now, mind you, these happened prior to the advent of modern
equipment which has many more built-in safety features. Nevertheless,
they gave me serious respect for the power of the gas.
Take care with it in any environment.
Sun Country Gems LLC