Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Benchwork Between & After Cataract Surgeries

I’ve a cataract in my right eye that rather quickly (inside 6 months) went from stable bleb to double vision. My left eye isn’t great either where glare comes in. I’m scheduled for cataract surgery on the first eye March 2. I’m trying to figure out what distance lenses and I’m concerned about working after and between the surgeries. I wear trifocals because of the close benchwork and computer. I’m near sighted as you can get. If my glasses were actually glass, they’d be too heavy to stay on my nose.

Advice, questions to ask before commitments are made, what do i do with my glasses in the between? I’m concerned about dust. I work for a small jewelry manufacturing company and there’s lots of polishing, ultrasonic cleaning, plating, laser welding and work at the bench. I’m kind of worried about how long it might take my eyes to get settled into a new normal. I know eventually it should all be good, but the next couple months have me worried with some of the projects I’m slated to do. I just can’t put off this surgery, I can’t see clearly right now and it makes my job very difficult.

Thanks,

Ruthanne

2 Likes

You beat me to posting about this subject and I look forward to what others who have been there say about it as I need this surgery too. My wife recently had both eyes done in a two week period. The surgery went well and her distance vision is perfect. Up close is a temporary problem as she has to wait a bit for her eyes to settle before they will prescribe proper reading and near vision glasses. This is the vision distance where we all work and I am especially concerned that they get it right when I have my eyes done. Thanks for posting…Rob

2 Likes

I lost the sight in my right eye to macular degeneration and can only see vague shapes however I did have a cataract removed from my left one. As idrive I had a long distance lens put in and rely on reading glasses and optiviser for close work. Having cataracts removed means that you get a new lens so what ever lens you had before is no longer relevant. Mynew lens made distance very clear and the colours more vibrant. My problem with only one working eye is when working close I have problems gauging distance and keeping track of where my blade is sawing. I’ve learnt to get the aim of my torch day watching the glow on the soldering block and moving it to the work, initially I melted quite a lot so I went to my collage notes and work pieces and re learned again from square one after over 35years at the bench. I’m still improving but not too bad. Those who have two “new eyes” wont have this problem. Only having one has mad me a bit paranoid regarding the use of eye protection - safety goggles on at the door as I go in - optivisors and normal glasses dont give a lot of protection Please take care of your eyes.

3 Likes

I had both cataracts removed, two weeks apart, in November and December. Next week I have a final checkup with the surgeon and can then get new glasses, I hope. Colors are now true instead of being shades of brown. The world is much brighter as well.
Unlike most jewelers, I’m extremely far sighted. I chose to continue to wear glasses. They don’t bother me and provide some protection in the studio.
For all contemplating this surgery, get the best possible surgeon. The first surgeon that examined my eyes left me feeling like all he was interested in was to get the fanciest lenses located with the most expensive lasers (now standard and no extra cost) and charge an arm and a leg. I felt like I was dealing with a snake oil salesman.
I then went to the University of Colorado research hospital and had a very experienced doctor who had no financial interest in the outcome do the surgeries. All this after a long discussion with him on best practice and best outcome for my jewelry business. And a laser to locate the lens is standard practice, not an option. I can’t emphasize enough that you don’t have to buy the most expensive options. A good friend got the fancy astigmatism correction lenses and has had unhappy results. This is your eyes folks. Talk to at least two doctors. Check out how many surgeries they have done. Research, research.
And to answer the question about working right after. You have about 4 days after each one where you won’t want to work. You will likely have to put drops in your eye every 4 hours. It really takes a while to get settled. If you have health benefits, this should give you some time off for recovery.

3 Likes

I have macular degeneration for 9 years in both eyes - one wet and one dry. The wet is treated (an injection into the eye) with Eylea every 6 weeks and so far I’ve not lost vision. Cataract removal was successful as I’ve noted in another post. What I didn’t say was advice from my surgeon - when you find you have them, do not wait. Age makes a big difference in how you heal.

1 Like

I have wet in one eye and you are correct about not waiting. I was on holiday when I noticed a distortion but left it until I got home a d it was too late to have I ejection therapy so I’ve lost it hor good. There are tests hoping on in the uk for dry where the inject stem cells and once the new macular has grown the old is removed by laser. Looks hopeful. I’ve been following you for a long time on orchid back to hanoman. Take care. Xx

1 Like

When I was in my 70s I had the cataracts in both eyes removed, making the world much brighter! The only problem was getting over the amount of anaesthetic I got the first time. Otherwise, it was a short recovery period. I was very near-sighted and still am. My surgeon was loathe to put in “new” lenses that might have corrected it, because he said that people who have always been near-sighted do not react well to suddenly being far-sighted. So I wear tri-focals, and all is well. --Judy Bjorkman (who also recalls the good old Hanuman days)

1 Like

What a lot to consider! I doubt my employer wants me taking several days off after each surgery. However, if I can’t work, I can’t work.

I go for pre-op tomorrow. Loads of questions. If I feel like I’m being railroaded, I’ll put on the brakes. My eye doctor has said he has favorable feedback about the practice I’m going to. I might need to call him and get his advice. He’s been my eye doctor for 20 years and he knows well how picky I am where my sight is concerned.

Thanks for the feedback.