Bench/gemology Scope

So, I am in tradeschool for goldsmiths in Iceland and additionally I am doing distance education with G.I.A.

I’ve been researching scope options for engraving/stonesetting and general bench work. And I have come to the conclusion that the Leica A60F would probably be my best (affordable) choice.

My question is… Could that scope be used for gemological work also? if not, why?

I would rather not buy a gemology specific scope, if the bench one could handle that type of work.

Best regards, Stefan.

Stefan … short answer is no :). I guess … you can take a look at stones with the lecia …but a gemology microscope is kinda a specialized instrument. For gemology you need dark field illumination and polarization … I am not a gemmologist … but I played one on tv once … lol. Seriously … I’ve made my petrological microscope work in a pinch … because it has polarizing filters and a Bertrand lens … but if you are serious about gemology … you’ll probably want a gemmological instrument … and a spectroscope and refractometer and filters … lol. It can get expensive if you are on a budget.

1 Like

Ok, I understand, the bells and whistles needed, call for a specialized gemological scope. Thank you for the quick and informative reply!

Hi Stefan, You might wish to look on eBay right now. There is a couple B&L stereo zoom 7 scopes mounted in proper Gemolite GIA bases and include a photo port and camera system as well for about $1500.00, a steal for what your getting and if you look for a used Bench mount for B&l on ebay , they are cheap you can use it on your bench as well. I have, just pop in a set of 10x eye lenses. You won’t regret that money spent and will last you, with quality. Just move the head between the gem base for gemmological work and the bench mount for setting and what have you.

In Canadian funds, that about $1,980.00 plus 13% tax…Ouch!

Gerrysdiamondsettingessays

.blogspot.ca

Gerry, On my iPhone!

Hi Brent
I am a gemologist but could not say it better than Stephan.
i work with both types, very different in use and power and both are expensive. You can use a less expensive gem mic that some tool house sell, besides GIA. Not as good but doable.
Sam