Audra Schoblocher - Jewelry Gallery

My research consists of art history, archaeology, and anthropology as a means of collecting data of personal interest which is translated into volumetric sculptures. My interest investigates the ancient cultures and the activities that have informed their life styles and technologies with the main focus on domestics. A great deal of my interests in historical technologies were sparked in college classes and a European trip early in my career. However, much is to be said about the unique experience that I had as a child growing up in a dwelling built by my great-grand father and passed down through the generations, with many of the commodities left in tact for me to experience. This experience is reflected in the archaeological familiarity of my sculptures.

I enjoy the process of exploring metal, as it is a place to deposit a message or expression of an emotion; much like writing in a diary. There is an undeniable mark left upon the surface of the metal indicating a level of agile movement that works with the metal’s malleability to be folded, stretched and compressed into volumetric forms, which play upon the line within to create a visual dance of movement. Whenever possible, I work with primitive technologies that lend themselves to a hands on approach to stay in tune with the material’s immediate properties.

Eloquent Movement, Copper, wood, jute, patinas 12"x12"x8"H

http://www.ganoksin.com/exhibition/var/albums/orchid/AudraSchoblocher/A%20Schoblocher%2001-Elequent%20Movement.jpg

Philosopher, Copper, Steel 16"x12"x48"H

Philosopher, Copper, Steel 16"x12"x48"H

Turkish Tea, Silver, Bronze, patinas 8"x0.5"x1"H

Turkish Tea, Silver, Bronze, patinas 8"x0.5"x1"H