Anvil recommendation

Please excuse any typos-- curse my clumsy digits…

2 Likes

andy,

i actually needed that big rounder horn last week!

julie

Believe me if a blacksmith’s anvil were to come my way I would own it.

Don

That’s a beauty! I might park it a bit out of the way so that I don’t back into it.

hi,

now that i think about it…i think the comment i am recalling about forged versus cast…was talking about cast iron anvils…not cast steel anvils…

julie

Here in the shop I have no room, and would have little need for a large anvil. I do use a small watch makers anvil, and several steel blocks for my limited needs to forge.

Having said that, I have an ancient anvil by the barn, as well as one made from a RR rail. Both get use in maintaining farm and lawn equipment. Both rounded and squared horns, and a heavy hammer can solve many problems

The older anvil

4 Likes

andy, do i see a railroad track steel anvil on the table behind…?

i have always wanted one of those too…

and a big thick steel block! maybe like 12”x12”!
(no room though…)

i am having “anvil envy”!

julie

Do you use that hammer on soft genuine Emeralds?

“Gerry, on my iPhone”

gerrylewy18

20m

Do you use that hammer on soft genuine Emeralds?

“Gerry, on my iPhone”

Not twice…

1 Like

Have you considered contacting your town’s public works office for a tree stump? Most larger towns have an arborist on staff to care for the trees planted along public streets. You might be able to get a decent sized hardwood stump for price of hauling it away.

1 Like

No … that’s the base of a big shear.

There should be a tree removal service in your area… call them give them the height requirements and tell them what you want it for…
then they will cut a tree and square off the top and bottom for you…give them $50-75. They will probably deliver it to you for that…n
Proper height?
Simple stand up and hold your arm by your side and make a fist… the top of your anvil needs to be at the bottom of your fist from the floor to prevent damage to your elbow and wrist.
If it were me I would invest in a good vice that rotates not only in circle but also in degrees …you can then make your own stakes for forming and other things… more versatile then just a anvil… I have both in my shop and can do jewelry or bowls if needed…
enjoy.

3 Likes

Cliff Carrol 35 lb anvil is well priced if you buy directly from them. Not sure if you can still do that.
I use a 4"x4" block anvil which works for most things, but I miss the horn!

1 Like

It is a 4" cube, with rounded edges! I will add source if I can find it. Very inexpensive and great for lots of things a bench block is too small for. Still would add a 35 lb Cliff Carroll if I can make room for it.

1 Like

Hi Penny,
Thank you for sharing this anvil, i had not seen it before.

there is a small video with the below link, where one can see size/ scale of anvil
the presenter points out the nicely polished/ finished surface and the horn shape.

at 35lbs it is much larger than I would have guessed…
price is very nice as well! currently $219 on the below link

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I ended up buying the stand from Rio and the 77lb Rigid Peddinghaus Anvil from Amazon. I’ve never used a tree stump so I can not compare, but I do like the rigidity of the stand on my level concrete floor. The height is adjustable and with the anvil the height is perfect for my arm length. The setup may be a bit overkill for me, but so far has been a joy to use compared to my 8lb anvil on a bench. Each hammer strike now seems to deliver its full potential and the forging I have done so far has felt more confident and productive. I dont know if it was necessary, but I spend a couple of hours sanding and polishing the face and horn (which was painted).

1 Like

Hi everyone!
This forum is one of the reasons why “Orchid & Ganoksin” can be so interesting.
WE are reading directly from the “hands of the readers” and not from someone’s written texts from so long ago.
We are all giving our two cents worth of helpful information. As I’m writing my 142nd essay, I paused and read this “tree-stump” bit of information, interesting to read is to say the least. Gerry Lewy!

1 Like