Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Anvil recommendation

Please excuse any typos-- curse my clumsy digits…

1 Like

andy,

i actually needed that big rounder horn last week!

julie

Believe me if a blacksmith’s anvil were to come my way I would own it.

Don

That’s a beauty! I might park it a bit out of the way so that I don’t back into it.

hi,

now that i think about it…i think the comment i am recalling about forged versus cast…was talking about cast iron anvils…not cast steel anvils…

julie

Here in the shop I have no room, and would have little need for a large anvil. I do use a small watch makers anvil, and several steel blocks for my limited needs to forge.

Having said that, I have an ancient anvil by the barn, as well as one made from a RR rail. Both get use in maintaining farm and lawn equipment. Both rounded and squared horns, and a heavy hammer can solve many problems

The older anvil

2 Likes

andy, do i see a railroad track steel anvil on the table behind…?

i have always wanted one of those too…

and a big thick steel block! maybe like 12”x12”!
(no room though…)

i am having “anvil envy”!

julie

Do you use that hammer on soft genuine Emeralds?

“Gerry, on my iPhone”

gerrylewy18

20m

Do you use that hammer on soft genuine Emeralds?

“Gerry, on my iPhone”

Not twice…

1 Like

Have you considered contacting your town’s public works office for a tree stump? Most larger towns have an arborist on staff to care for the trees planted along public streets. You might be able to get a decent sized hardwood stump for price of hauling it away.

1 Like

No … that’s the base of a big shear.

There should be a tree removal service in your area… call them give them the height requirements and tell them what you want it for…
then they will cut a tree and square off the top and bottom for you…give them $50-75. They will probably deliver it to you for that…n
Proper height?
Simple stand up and hold your arm by your side and make a fist… the top of your anvil needs to be at the bottom of your fist from the floor to prevent damage to your elbow and wrist.
If it were me I would invest in a good vice that rotates not only in circle but also in degrees …you can then make your own stakes for forming and other things… more versatile then just a anvil… I have both in my shop and can do jewelry or bowls if needed…
enjoy.

2 Likes