Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Antifreeze toxicity


#1

there is an amazing amount of toxicity to antifreeze. A teaspoonful
can kill an animal…Imagine holding a handle soaked in this stuff
everyday you work…Not a wise idea. It attacks the kidneys.


#2

Hi Lisa,

 there is an amazing amount of toxicity to antifreeze. A
teaspoonful can kill an animal..Imagine holding a handle soaked in
this stuff everyday you work..

I can understand your concern. However, you may have misunderstood
the solution.

The entire handle is not soaked in antifreeze. The only part of the
handle that is immersed in antifreeze is the head end & maybe 1/2 to
1" above/below the head. Additionally most hammer handles are
finished with a varnish or some other type of finish prior to being
sold.

Dave


#3

You are correct about ethylene glycol toxicity and the sweet
flavor which makes it attractive to children and pets. You can
easily find antifreeze based on propylene glycol sold as a non
toxic friendly antifreeze… In its pure form propylene glycol is
approved for food and drug use and is very commonly found used in
these products. It will work where as a more acceptable
substitute.

Jesse


#4

Agreed ethylene glycol should be avoided. however P.E.G. or
polyethylene glycol is to my knowledge not toxic. It was developed
and used to stabilize old timbers. Its highest profile job was the
stabilizing of the timber in the Mary Rose Elizabethan warship. It
has been used extensively in the wood turning industry as a means of
seasoning and stabilizing timber. It is not compatible with all wood
finishes, test on sample first. It is supplied in a form similar to
a paraffin wax block but has a wet surface, again the item is if
fresh timber placed in a solution and works by preventing the cell
collapse and shrinkage and checking. old timber should be hydrated
first by soaking in water and then soaked in the P.E.G. solution. If
you want more info on the use of the product i shall have to locate
my old teaching references so contact me off line as there may be a
short delay.

David Mcleod
Anne Jackman & David McLeod
60 Grove Street
St Kilda
Dunedin, New Zealand
ph 0064 -3 455 7893
email : @Anne_Jackman_David_M


#5

Yes, antifreeze, ethylene glycol is toxic esepecially to animals
(cats and dogs) as well as children. Because it has a sweet taste,
these will consume the ethylene glycol from an open container or
puddle. Therefore, care should be taken in the use or disposal of
antifreeze, especially around children and pets.