Dear Orchid friends,
I thought I would finally follow up on the outcome of annealing my
gold filled wire chain (crocheted). I appreciate all the help given
to me when I asked.
I was actually quite happy with the results.
The chain is 20 inches long, FYI. I treated it just like gold. I
fluxed it with a boric acid and denatured alcohol flux, then torched
it in a darkened room. Once it reached a dull red I immediately
removed the heat! I pickled the chain, and then straightened it. It
was not as pliable as a gold alloy, but it was not bad. Then I put it
through the drawplate.
It turned out quite well, actually. It looks pretty, there are no
faults in the metal at all. No melting or unremovable fire scale
(actually there was NO fire scale). And considering the extraordinary
price of gold wire, I think it is a viable alternative for jewelry
that is attractive, durable, and that doesn’t cost thousands of
I prefer using gold, but as I said, GF is an OK alternative.
Just thought I would share the outcome with you! And thank you for
all your friendly help!
Laura H. Hastings