Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Amy O'Connell - Jewelry Gallery

I am a mainly self taught jewelry artist from Northampton Massachusetts. I began making jewelry in 1992 while living in Iowa City IA. In 1998 I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area to pursue the art jewelry business full time. My background is in the visual arts including painting, design, photography, and sculpture and I incorporate all of these into my work, my business, and my life. In 2002 I enrolled full time in the California College of Arts and Crafts Metalsmithing program (Oakland CA). I will be in the program until 2005. The objects in this gallery are the first of many new works produced at the school. My work is in a state of metamorphosis, I am both surprised and delighted every day by what it is becoming.

“Still life composition study #1"
Life sized copper formed objects, hand raised and forged, the apple is a container. 3 3/4"x 2 3/4”. The grapes are all individually raised with a forged stem and foldformed leaf. 5 1/2" x 3". Coloration with colored pencils. 2003

“Nest of Winged Snakes”

“Nest of Winged Snakes"
Coiled copper nest with 3 cast sterling winged snakes. The eggs are raised and pierced copper, painted with acrylic wash. The nest is 5” across. 2002

“Surrealist Dream Object”

“Surrealist Dream Object"
The vessel is raised from a single disk of copper. It started as a 10” 18 gauge circle and was formed entirly by hammering over steel stakes. The finished piece is 6 1/2" x 4". The stand is copper and sand. 2002

“Peridot Bank”

“Peridot Bank"
Sterling Silver, 18k gold, peridot. The dragon is chased and repoussed. The closed bank is 4” x 4 1/2".

“Perfume Bottle Necklace”

“Perfume Bottle Necklace"
Sterling silver raised perfume bottle. The top is fine silver granulation and a ruby cabochon. The chain is a heavy fine silver triple loop in loop design, 24”. It can be worn as a choker or the toggle can be used as a stand for the bottle. The bottle is 3 1/4" x 1 3/4". 2002

Jurrasic Fossil Neckpiece

Jurrasic Fossil Neckpiece
Sterling Silver Neckpiece with Diosaur Bone and Amber on a heavy double choker. Pendant is 4" x 3 1/2" on a 16"chain

Sun/Moon Series

Sun/Moon Series
Full Moon Earrings: The craters are pierced and slightly domed. Sterling 3/4"

Moon Choker: Sterling Silver choker with large apricot moonstone caged pendant. Cage is 1 1/4" on a handmade loop-and-loop chain. 14k gold rivets.

Large Moon Ring: The domed and pierced top is 1 1/4" wide and holds a 15mm high domed peach moonstone. The “moon dome” is held to the shank by 14k gold rivets. The shank is textured by hammering and is 8x2mm thick.

Eclipse Rings: The tops are domed and pierced and hold a sunstone. The “moon dome” is held to it’s base by 14k gold rivets. The shank is textured by hammering and is 6x2mm thick. Small 1/2", Medium 3/4"

Pyramid Necklace

Pyramid Necklace
This necklace is formed from heavy gauge sterling silver with a hand engraved surface and 14k gold bands. The stone is a sodalite and the chain is a hand made loop-and-loop design. Pendant is 3"x 1 1/2" on a 20" chain.