Always wondered if i NEED a JoolTool…

Hi,

…where would i put this…:thinking::rofl:

this video shows the use of a few different attachments in action…interesting…i thought i would share…

julie

2 Likes

Julie,
That’s an excellent question and I look forward to everyone’s answers. I just purchased a Jool Tool through Rio Grande. They were closing them out because (according to the Tech I spoke with) Jool Tool will no longer be selling through 3rd parties like Rio and Otto Frei. I have yet to figure out how I’m going to integrate the JT into my work flow. I wanted one to start doing some minor lapidary work but I’m still educating myself on lapidary basics and have only used the system for some basic grinding. My thoughts so far is it’s a very expensive system that probably duplicates many tools most of us already have. My justification for getting it is the lapidary kit, Rio’s close out prices, and the fact that I am a Tool Junkie.

2 Likes

I got one the year before last and am very happy with it. I cast quite a few flat etched pendants, and the flat visible surfaces make sprue clean up and texture removal easy to bulk. I also use it as my general polishing motor, which is great for me because it’s so small and my workspace is teeny tiny. I really like the scratch eraser discs. And most of all I love how fast you can change out the attachments. I’m also interested in trying out stained glass one day, which it can be used for.

Oh, and I use it to sharpen tools and bits- my kit came with an angle jig that is really helpful.

My two complaints so far: one particular replacement microfinishing film that goes on the spongy base just doesn’t seem to stick. I will hopefully figure out the trick. And second, the top acrylic protector flap sometimes creates a vibration that is very annoying (to the ear, not affecting the function). I need to try something around the edges to muffle where it rests on the top.

3 Likes

Hi,
for dampening the vibration sound…perhaps find a narrow length of foam…like a pool noodle…but the size of a pencil…cut a slit along the length…and run it along the edge that touches the walls of the machine

or…get a little wad of sticky wax…like the red wax casing on baby bella cheese (love that wax)…or earthquake museum putty…or foam double stick tape…or something sticky and cushiony that is temporary and removable…and stick it on an edge…to separate the lid from the walls…

julie

2 Likes

It’s a pretty versatile little machine. I say little because it sits on a reinforced drawer of the cabinet that used to house my double spindled polishing arbor. I place a piece of plywood across the open drawer and the Jool Tool sits on that). I also built a plexiglas shroud for it, to catch any over spray. I use it for cabbing genstones, I also have the GRS faceting attachment and started dabbling in faceting. I sold my Swap Top Lapidary machine and with the new slabbing attachment, the Jool Tool has quite a number of things covered for me, from polishing, to slabbing, cabbing and faceting gemstones, dehazing headlight lens covers, grinding enamels, etc. I have a generous sized studio and didn’t need the extra space, but I sure like being able to condense many pieces of equipment into one and right now, unless someone invents something even more versatile, the Jool Tool is it for me.

2 Likes

Will JoolTool discs run on a typical split lap spindle?..Rob

I have been wondering the same thing because I have been looking at it and they seem like they had some pretty awesome stuff as far as sanding and polishing