I have a client that says her daughter is allergic to all
metals. She wants to wear a watch, and using clear nail polish
doesn't help. Are there any suggestions for tips or products that
might help her make these metals wearable (ie. sealants?)
g'day; i strongly believe that many of the metal allergy stories
aren't anything of the sort. here's my theory for what it is worth.
when such an item as wrist watch or ring is worn, natural
perspiration is at least partly blocked and sealed in by the metal.
now sweat contains a whole variety of things which are excellent
nutrients for the myriad bacteria that swarm in the air. so they
find a gourmet banquet laid out for them and their children in the
almost perfect temperature, moisture and protected conditions they're
looking for, and they move in joyfully. as their number doubles every
20 minutes, a populous city soon grows. the problem is that they
don't install sewage systems in their city, so their waste products
also grow, then other bugs move in to use those products, depositing
their own. ad nauseum. which people's skin doesn't like. so,
before you can exclaim, 'it itches like mad' you have an inflamed
patch, and take off the watch or whatever, thus spoiling the party
for all those poor starving bacteria.
'what to do', you cry 'i can't wear metal; i have an allergy to
metal' so, cut a small piece of that thick sticking plaster stuff,
stick it to the metal, and wear it as usual - only on a different
bit of your person until the inflammation has gone. but it will all
start again unless you change that bit of plaster every day without
so now you'll understand that what you don't need is a sealant, but
a removable surface that will absorb a little moisture for a short
time.. let someone else spread out the bacterial goodies. try it;
you'll like it
ps bacteria, like small boys, hate soap and water.
Cheers for now,
John Burgess; @John_Burgess2 of Mapua, Nelson NZ