Alan Revere Pliers Rust Prevention?

I just purchased a set of Alan Revere pliers; very expensive and well worth it. I love them, but since they are made of carbon tool steel, I wonder if they will rust and should I keep a light coat of oil on them or will that be detrimental to the way they grip the work, or leave oil on the work piece?

Hi
Steel will rust, even stainless of some types.
It takes moisture, maybe, for a shop like mine in close proximity to water, hi humidity. The oil off your hands will do fine if you use a tool often, otherwise a very light oil on a cloth could be used to wipe the tool before storage. Wipe it clean again before use.
Some of my tools are well over 100 years old and have no corrosion.
My opinion,
Hope it helps.
Thanks,
Jim

1 Like

My pliers are all old and range from $1 yard sale finds to $60 wire cutters . They are all carbon or stainless and I use them all the time. My shop is in my cellar, so I run a dehumidifier. I can’t say as my pliers have ever rusted. If they did, I would give them a twist on the polishing wheel and maybe oil the hinge. I store them on the wall behind my main bench on an inexpensive chromed towel hanging rod, not in a drawer or the plastic jacket that they came in. Keep them away from your pickle pot. My mandrels and anvil are another story. They corrode easily, but come clean on the polishing wheel. Enjoy your new pliers, they should last you a lifetime…Rob

Rust! It is my life, I live in the jungle on east Maui across the road from the ocean, I am constantly cleaning my tools, recently someone mentioned using a little WD40, it is the first product I tried that I actually noted a little difference, I have tried so many things, even packing tools away daily in plastic bags, tools still came out of the bags with rust, there is an old man here in Hana, very professionally trained, good jeweler with a big studio indoors, he has same problems, just doesn’t worry about it, (he also is quite wealthy), my brand new hydraulic press and Pepe rolling mill, about 8-9 months old are so full of rust, I felt real upset, yes I cover them daily, but I listen to the sound of waves everyday, so I clean constantly,wd-40 does seem to slow the process a little and tools clean easier, if I had money, i would build an enclosed studio with ac, but I don’t! Aloha, angi in hana

I’d agree with Jim, wipe everything with oil.
I live in the humidity of Florida & the air con is on during the summer, but not for half the year.

I keep an oily rag in a baggie , and wipe things down when I’m finished with them.
I keep most of my tools exposed on a magnet strip, and since I started the oily rag routine, I don’t have any rust problems- even on my rolling mill. ( and I did before ).

Works for me.
Patty
Live Oak Studios

For such extreme salt air environments try Boeshield. It was developed by Boeing for the protection of metal surfaces in harsh environments.

I hesitated to mention it earlier, as I have found an oily rag works fine & costs nothing.
But I will have to add my 2 cents on metal coatings.

My husband restores old machinery & he uses a metal wax on polished cast iron & steel surfaces, it’s from Sculpt Nouveau and it’s a special wax with anti-corrosive additives.
It really seems to work as we have some machines that have been waxed with this & show no rust after a couple of years in NW Florida humidity. YMMV :slight_smile:

Patty
Live Oak Studios

Try a little raw linseed oil mixed with turpentine 50/50. I put it on my anvils and it keeps them really nice out in the garage. I haven’t tried on my tools, I shouldn’t think it would be a problem as it dries quite nicely.
Aurora

I’m in North Central Florida. We’re far enough inland that the salt air
isn’t as much an issue, but our dry days are 50% humidity or better.
Other than using things like WD-40 and Cosmoline for long term storage;
I’ve had my best success buffing the surfaces of my hand tools and
anvils with Renaissance Wax.

I’ve been using Staples Crystal Clear Bowling Alley Wax (Crystal Clear Bowling Alley Wax, 1-LB. - H.F. Staples) for years. It’s made with carnauba wax which dries extremely hard. The reason I’ve never liked oil is because it attracts particulate and is just plain messy. You’ve seen my hundreds of steel and cast iron tools that are exposed to the elements because I like to see where every tool is. They all look shiny because of carnauba wax. In the summer I incorporate the use of a dehumidifier for additional protection.

Just my five cents,

Jeff

As a followup, here is a link to a comprehensive 46 product rust preventative test: Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared | Day At The Range My go-to product Eezox did not fare too well.

Very interesting, Thank You