Alan Goldin - Jewelry Gallery

Alan Goldin Jewelry
Montclair, NJ. USA

“The shape is everything.” If I had to, in one sentence, sum up my approach to jewelry design, that would be it. These are one-of-a-kind, hand-crafted pieces in silver and gold with semi-precious stones. Why one-of-a-kind? Because I have a thousand different designs in my head and I want to produce as many of them as I can in my lifetime.

I want to appeal to those who seek out and appreciate uniqueness. Like a painting, each piece is given a title. But I would rather make a piece that becomes the owner’s favorite and gets worn often, than make something that’s kept in a case and trotted out only for special occasions, or is so conceptual it can only be viewed but never worn.

Gemstones, when I use them, are there to embellish or accent the shape, like punctuation. Gemstones have to be an organic part of the design and not look like they were stuck on as an afterthought. I love light shining through translucent stones, and I love inclusions; they add an organic, natural imperfectness.

People who own my jewelry think of it as more than decoration. It becomes a pet, a friend, an ornamental companion. Like clouds, everyone sees something different in the shapes and as a result, they become good-luck charms, fertility symbols, amulets, talismans…

Materials: sterling silver, garnet beads, Mexican black opal, patina, unpolished citrine beads, steel cable
Dimensions: pendant: approx. 3.5x1.5"; necklace 18"

“Unearthed” was designed with no concessions to popular tastes. The elements are entirely what appeals to me personally: lots of texture, earthy colors, and a heavy, ceremonial quality. I think of it as what Wilma Flintstone would wear to a formal event.

Photo credit: Alan Goldin

Pomegranate Ring

Materials: sterling silver, garnet beads, patina, steel cable
Dimensions: 1.125x1x1.25"

This large, sterling silver “statement” ring has a gradated gold/multi-hued patina, protected by clear lacquer, and features semi-precious garnet gemstone beads. The beads are woven into the ring with silver-plated steel cable. Size: approx. 6-1/2.

White Swan

Materials: sterling silver, 14K gold, saltwater pearls, quartz crystal beads, yellow sapphire, patina
Dimensions: brooch: 3.375x1.5; with stand: 6.25"

White Swan is a 3-3/8 inch tall pin/brooch with a hidden loop that enables it to also be worn as a pendant. It is cast in Argentium Sterling Silver and features lacquered patina, 14k yellow gold wire, a yellow sapphire, three saltwater pearls, two large quartz beads, and 180 tiny, hand-faceted quartz beads. When not in use, it sits on a sterling silver and lucite stand.