G’day R, Simple; don’t let your acetylene flame burn for more
than a second or two without the oxygen.
A little warning word here: did you know that when acetylene gas
is strongly compressed it can spontaneously explode? Those
cylinders it comes in have the acetylene dissolved in acetone
which in turn is contained in a porous material like pumice to
avoid the hazard. It happened often in the early days but I’ve
never heard of acetylene exploding spontaneously for very many
So, it is really pretty harmless if treated properly; just don’t
use it without a pressure reducing valve, have an anti-blowback
system in the gas lines and don’t have a roaring great yellow
flame unless you want to spend time washing the walls, ceiling,
Next time I read Orchid mail will be on my new computer - I
hope! Cheers, Johnb at sunny Mapua New Zealand in the autumn.
Next time I read Orchid mail will be on my new computer - I hope!