A Poll for our community

Greetings, I’m inspired by Alec’s recent response to the poll as a newcomer to the work. I’d also like to use this as a way to introduce myself and maybe add a small piece or two to the mix.

1. How long have you been at the bench?

40 years or 2. “Bench” covers a lot of ground for me. My work has spanned sculpture, architecture, machinery and now jewelry in the last couple of years. I’m especially loving the community I’m finding in the jewelry world.

1. Do you make your living doing bench work?

Roughly 50%, I’m also a coach/therapist sort and for me the private commissions are actually therapeutic projects, a form of art therapy.

1. Do you work for a retail jeweler?

no

5 . Do you work for yourself?

Yes, Nearly my entire career.

1. Do you do both? ( outside / side work)?

See above - It’s mixed.

1. How did you start your training?

Trail and error, dreams, a few lucky mentors, even some university classes. I learn most by being commissioned to make something I don’t know how to make.

1. How do you continue your training?

Experimentation, classes, youtube, this group.

9 Do you see yourself as a designer?

Yes, although the project usually tells me what to create, my personal input I often see as secondary.

1. Do you see yourself as having a viable and profitable future in this business?

Yes, working so far.

1. What skill sets will improve your financial future?

Meditation. And probably studio management. I don’t think the particular technique matters so much as how much we love it and our capacity to be present with the work. I really enjoy fine chasing work and expect I will continue exploring that. I’m also interested in miniaturizing some of what I’ve designed for large scale performance venues.

1. Who sets standards to whom you aspire?

Many of the people on this list, lots of others in various industries. Faberge, LaLique, Tom Herman, Some of the folks in Cirque du Soleil and Disney, Zaha Hadid, Santiago Calatrava, the list can get very long.

In what manner, do you see Ganokskin, as a community, forwarding your skills?

Simply following the list messages, seeing pictures of the work and discussions of process and technique are a terrific resource and inspiration to me. As my time opens up a bit Id like to actually participate in those conversations more. I’d like to meet more folks in person so perhaps an annual symposium? As if Seth isn’t busy enough…

Do you see the value in expanding the Ganokskin skill base?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by this, there’s of course always value in expanding, but if you mean is Ganoskin worth developing and growing? An emphatic yes. I see several currently valuable aspects and some potentially interesting areas of development as well.

The archives are tremendous from both an educational and a historical standpoint.
The network is excellent and I hope to make greater use of that as time goes one. (and contribution to as well)
Expanding the training aspect both online and in person is a great direction to head in. Also, a yearly symposium and industry prize I think would be a great addition. The Ganoskin, like the Pritzker but the pieces are smaller. :slight_smile:

How do you suggest this be accomplished?

I think collaboration with schools, universities and museums to provide restoration support, history and career development would be helpful. That doesn’t exactly tell you how though. The short answer is lots of talking to people, networking and going to various events. Perhaps a director of development. Someone with a deep rolodex that can open a lot of doors and might have fun doing it in their later years.

It’s a big question and I suspect the answer depends a great deal on particular personalities. Maybe we can chew on it over dinner in Tucson.

Thanks for reading, I also thoroughly enjoyed everyone’s responses and look forward to more.

-Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,
Great post and both insightful, and, full of possibility.
Thank you for adding your particular (and well expressed) energy to Ganoksin.
This will have Seth pondering a bit.
See you in Tucson.
Thanks again,
Jim

1. How long have you been at the bench? 15 years
  2. Do you make your living doing bench work? Nope, hobby art jewelry, craft shows
  3. Do you work for a retail jeweler? Nope, did sales for a while for someone at craft shows
    5 . Do you work for yourself? Yes.
  4. Do you do both? ( outside / side work)? No
  5. How did you start your training? High school adult school and now workshops
  6. How do you continue your training? Work shops, teaching others one to one.
    9 Do you see yourself as a designer? Yes, but a poor one in my own opinion
  7. Do you see yourself as having a viable and profitable future in this business? Nope
  8. What skill sets will improve your financial future? Getting off my butt and putting work in the galleries that have express an interest. I am the worst sales person for my own work. Teaching would be wonderful for me. I become creative when someone asks a question. Unfortunately, to teach in this area, even in a community school, they are requiring a MFA in metals. My MFA is in Government! Really!
  9. Who sets standards to whom you aspire? I do…unfortunately. :-/ There is no one to challenge me.

In what manner, do you see Ganokskin, as a community, forwarding your skills? It inspires me to work and provides me with technical information when I have questions about how to proceed. I like the social aspect and enjoy meeting people over the forum. Also, nice to know some of the participants personally.

Do you see the value in expanding the Ganokskin skill base? Yes!

How do you suggest this be accomplished? More videos; especially doing the same thing in different ways. I learn by seeing. But I still find the sight difficult to navigate…better than before tho.

Hi “Shifting metal”…
Thanks for sharing your views and approaches to our craft.
Incentive to show your work in galleries in a challenge, especially if you have self judged your work.
In the end, we may work to fulfill our own eye, but the success of a project is measured in it’s sale to another. Most often, they will connect with something very different than your vision. That is the challenge and joy of having commercial success, a single sale can change your perspective.
Whatever path you choose, I wish you well and my deepest thanks for expressing your self here.
Jim

THE : “A” Poll.

1. I am just now in mid process of building my bench. Had a small baby Grand Piano that could only be tuned for about double its value : so, the Key board area is becoming my bench work space and with the harp part of the case raised I have created an area for the torches to do their work w/ exhaust coming off
    near the highest edge w/ the tanks able to be below the case w/only the hoses above in the heat area.
    At the moment near the support for the top hangs the flex-shaft grinder and I brought power from over head and have a surge protect power bar inside the case available for any needs. the foot pedal of the flex-shaft is right next to the Piano’s original foot petals ( maybe some day I’ll convert one ). I have done some work seated on the old Piano bench, but as of today …not yet made a piece of jewelry on it. …ready to hammer an old pan lid to fit a new “enameled” skillet. … still playing.
  2. I began in Art school at Kent State University in 1967 and almost Majored in Jewelry, but enlarged into sculpture… .never worked at “the bench” to make money
  3. no
    I will have to invent #.4 Jim at some later time, to extend the “Poll” somemore
  4. YES, I am an Artist : sculptor, printmaker, photographer, etc
    …before leaving Art School : I took over our 3 generation family business " Professional Retail Florist & Greenhouse : FTD business for 30ish years. closed the business in 2001: our 89th.year.
    and in 2004 returned to Kent State and finished my Sculpture BFA degree in spring 2005.
  5. …now Artist / independent contractor
  6. I trained under a fantastic JEWELRY ARTIST: TEACHER … Mary Ann Scheer
  7. …this is where ‘ganoksin orchid’ comes in as I began to regroup desiring to do jewelry again and have All sizes of sculpture to play with…I had give all tools away over the year. Funds being very limited I need to look and pray for used / old / not needed by someone tools and equipment…and some books etc. that I could look back on to refresh and began down loading the Save Old books …WOW.
  8. YES: even more than just Artist, I am a designer !!! love, problem solving. love good design. hate waist. despise trendy "as good " when the design is … well, mediocre ???
    10… I have no Idea : if Jesus keeps me here alive long enough, And really focus, yes, maybe.
  9. Entrepreneurial Design in newly visited Jewelry applications. Faith.
  10. Mary Ann Scheer, Rodan, Christos (sorry, not sure of the spellings: not enough time to look up)

Ganokskin will both keep the very old from dying and the new from being despised. I was taught that actually there is nothing new under the sun : just new way to re-visit it and new people to see it who missed it before… this community will let the history Live and progress.

…sure but I have not been back long enough to know what that means. …or how it will bloom

pray … and …ask better questions. ( and, find ways to teach the buying public my good Art is better than a cell phone/ smart way to spend a lot of money that is obsolete in a few years ) …we teach ourselves but do not bring potential young buyers/lovers/business evolve’er along with us. ( well, remember I am on the fringe looking in …so just saying ).

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for the great visual on your bench (PLEASE>>> post photos…)
And, thank you for giving us a sense of who you are.
I’m looking forward to seeing your work, please post.
Thanks again,
Jim