A Cheap and Compact Alternative to the Smith Little Torch Magnetic Stand

The Smith Little Torch is a great torch, but the magnetic stand is a bit pricey. Here’s my solution…

There are two 6mm neodymium magnets inside the brass tube and 1 magnet embedded in the edge of my bench. It provides a very secure temporary resting point. I can also use a bench block as the stand for a bit more flexibility with positioning. The attachment also acts as a hook for its storage position.

9 Likes

how clever!.. congrants!

This has always worked for me…Rob

Google Photos

1 Like

where can you buy ultra strong permanent magnets?.. ie., Nd/Co alloy magnets, neodymium?

A lot of people sell magnets online.

expensive or reasonable?

I don’t know what is expensive or reasonable to you. It all depends on what you are doing with them. Do a search and find out for yourself…Rob

i’m doing that now… refrigerator magnets! thanks…

I see that walmart carries disc magnets for cheap… they might be too strong for refrigerator magnets… but I’d like to play with them… could have other uses for them…

N35’s might do better than the strongest ones…

Nd is in short supply, so the prices are surprisingly cheap… there’s only one US source, the Mountain Pass mine in California, 90% of the world’s reserves are in China…I’m also considering buying a hybrid electric Ford Maverick small pick up…All of the EV’s are dependent on Nd magnets for thier motors…

Thanks again