Bench Pin Clamp System

Hi everyone, I am interested in getting some type of clamping system for my benchpin to aid in sawing. There are so many out there now and I was hoping some of you may have tried some of them. There is Gary’s clamp, the swanstrom sawplate system, Jayne Reman rotational work ring, to name a few. I find my hand cramping and not able to hold my work as I would like when I am sawing and thought some type of clamp would help. I feel like I saw small pieces more often than larger pieces. Does anyone have thoughts on what the best bench pin clamp is? Thanks
Bernie

5 Likes

I haven’t responded because I’m still using a regular jeweler’s saw and wooden v-block bench pin. I have never tried any of the gadgets that you mentioned. But now that I’m in my 60’s, like you, it’s getting harder to hold metal while sawing. I use a GRS bench mate or gravers ball whenever I can for setting, finishing and flex shaft work, so it makes sense that life would be better if there was something to hold my metal while sawing.

I looked at all of the options that you mentioned. I’m kind of leaning toward the Easy Saw as what might work best for me. The main negative is that it’s very expensive. So it’s not something that I’m going to rush into purchasing.

Here’s a video by Melissa Muir:

And a link to their website.

I hope that helps a little bit!

Let us know what you decide.

Jeff

1 Like

Hi Jeff and All,
Drooling over the Easy Saw, but I don’t do enough piercing to justify the cost. Pretty busy right now with stone cutting, but might look at clamping work to my bench pin and swiveling it to minimize the stress on my hands…of course you know, because royjohn, that I’ll say I can whomp one of these up out of acrylic sheet and wood, right? The ES and the dovetail…at my current labor rate of $50/hr, would have to get it done in ~7 hrs or less…hmmmm… -royjohn

2 Likes

I have been doing a lot of, what is for me, difficult piercing. It includes making pancakes dies and a type of earring where I double over a piece of 20 gauge sheet and pierce the same design in both of them at the same time. Maintaining a 10 degree angle is the challenge for the dies and the two layers shifting relative to each other gets the earrings in bind. I have been trying to design a simple clamp that will help me with both of these challenges. It appears that The Easy Saw might help, but the cost is a bit more than I am willing to spend right now to solve these problems, so I will keep looking for other solutions…Rob

2 Likes

Jane Redman has designed a clamping system that Rio Grande carries. It is designed to permit an unlimited range of angles and it swivels.

1 Like

I have Jane’s tilting bench pin system and use it a lot, especially to cut pancake dies. I have been drawing a way to drill and tap the aluminum pin to secure hold downs much like those in her rotating systems. In the end, it would be a compromise. I hadn’t seen her rotating and tilting pin system and it looks like it would address my needs well. I may just buy it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention…Rob

1 Like

Rob,

I have Jayne’s new rotational work ring with the dovetail adapter and I love it! It has made my life at the bench so much easier. It makes cutting pancake dies a breeze. No more cramped hands.

Pam

1 Like

That’s what I am looking for. Thanks…Rob

2 Likes

Wow!!!
I had no idea this existed! I’m in awe!
Thanks for sharing :wink:

I just bought Jayne Redman’s rotational work ring system. I need to buy the smaller work rings from Rio. Jayne was a joy to work with and guided me through the process as there are a lot of pieces that have to line up with what you want to do with them. I also have her bench pin system and I needed to integrate what I bought with what I already have. Thanks Jayne for all the help…Rob

6 Likes

I will like to add a comment about the rotational adaptors in general. After making my own version y found that reality is different from marketing pictures and videos. Depending of the metal size and thickness, the piece vibrates under the cutting forces and it is very annoying. The bench pin and strong hands have magic as the cut can be made very close to the support point. One remedy is to mount the metal to a piece of 1/8" plywood skin or other suitable backing.

How old are your hands? For me it’s either this or I stop piercing, so I am willing to spend the money to see if this tool will allow me to pierce a bit longer…Rob

Rob,

Jayne is exceptionally helpful!

Although I’m not typically piercing thin material Carlos’ point that there may be flexing or vibration of the material because of the wide expanse is most likely true. If I’m taking the time to pierce something thinner I’ll usually double up the material. My well used hands are 62 and they appreciate the extra help!

I also like the width of the base/bench pin portion of the system. I’ve made a couple of inserts to convert it to a more traditional wood pin. There have also been times when the pancake blank I’m cutting doesn’t fit four points along the ring. I’ve found it’s a simple fix by adding a couple of washers under one of the screws.

Pam

1 Like

My hands will be 75 next month. They are still very strong, but I am bothered horribly by cramps when I pierce and stamp. This is also the reason that I was researching marking lasers. I have since abandoned this search and will modify the way that I stamp, at least for now. I was in the process of designing a sawing clamp when Jayne’s clamp was brought to my attention. I really like buying a tool from someone who makes jewelry and has had a lot of input into the design of the tool. Another example of this relationship of marker to maker tools is Steve Lindsay and his Air Gravers. I own them too and they are works of art. In a previous life I worked for company that manufactured high end mil-spec equipment for the Navy. I was a technical trainer and ran around the world training sailors and our own staff on how to maintain this equipment. I was always struck by the fact that engineers were never really required or compelled to do maintenance on the equipment that they designed. If they had been, I suspect that their designs might have been very different. Eventually the Navy added reliability and maintainability requirements to their specs. This did change this dynamic a bit. Enough for now…Rob

4 Likes

Boy howdy! I could make a very long list of companies that apparently never use their own products, for the same reason. !@$#&!

Neil A

3 Likes

In my day job we manufacturer cleaning chemicals. Similarily to Rob’s Navy story, engineers do not think about cleaning what they design ever. I especially hate the dispenser drawer in the washer that has a ton of nooks and crannies that are impossible to clean, but grow gunk continuously.
Bernie

3 Likes