Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Yet Another Pickle Answer


#1

the other day I noticed that the liquid had evaporated leaving a
white crusty coating on the inside of the pot. So now I’m wondering:
is it bad to let it evaporate like that? What is it doing to me
(breathing in evaporated pickle) and what is it doing to my tools,
etc. Also, can I just add water to the pot and make a new batch? Or
do I need to scrape the white crust away (and do what with it?),
clean the pot, and then start with water?

Thanks for your help - - Nan

Ah, something I’m familiar with. The white crusty coating in the
pickle pot is the pickle. Assuming you use the dry granulated pickle,
what has evaporated is the water you originally added to the dry
pickle. I have reconstituted evaporated pickle by adding more water a
number of times (I have stretches of time when I don’t do much in the
home studio) and have never noticed a difference in performance. If
the pickle itself evaporated, nothing would be left in the pot.

Gee, something easy for my first post. Hope that helped.

Robin C. McGee
Warren, MI
Rcmcgee47@comcast.net


#2

Continue from:
https://orchid.ganoksin.com/t/yet-another-pickle-answer

Hi Nan,

From what I’ve heard, only water evaporates from a pickle. The other
chemicals are to heavy to go air born. The white stuff is what’s in
your local water like lime, or iron, etc. If you use water form a
dehumidifier or distilled water this won’t happen. You will have to
change it after month to six week because it turns yellowish, I
think with the metal content.

Jim Zimmerman
Alpine Custom Jewellers & Repair
http://www.handengravingcanada.com


#3
    From what I've heard, only water evaporates from a pickle. The
other chemicals are to heavy to go air born.

i’ve pondered this myself …if the chemicals dont evaporate why the
odor and occasional build up around the lid on the pickle/ crock
pot - goo


#4

I’ve been using the water form a dehumidifier and I don’t get the
crusty stuff. The microscopic stuff that live in the water cooks
out, but you can remove that with a strainer. The pickle works good
for a longer than with tap water.

Jim Zimmerman
Alpine Custom Jewellers & Repair
http://www.handengravingcanada.com