Where to begin with a baguette ring?

Ahhh now I see. A picture is worth a thousand words, a bar set ring. A somewhat less complicated piece. Leave a sizing space at the bottom. This should be a casting but it should be done in white gold not silver. And to be frank there is no need to reinvent the wheel. This piece is available to be ordered from a number of places. Buy the stones to fit and set. If you really want it in silver you might even find a wax pattern for it at Paradise Wax Pattern company.
These are not too hard to set of you have a hammer hand piece and ring clamp that supports the ring from the inside like is made by GRS or Ring Genie. I clamp them in and inside ring expanding holder in my engraving block so that I have both hands free to manipulate and hold stones while I hammer down the bars.

Hi Haans,
I soldered the stones in place with a torch using 1000.PT. (I get mine from PMW) Though DHF and others have as well…
I also use a very thin film, blue flux I get from Gamzon in NY. The emerald cuts were custom cut for this project but the principal is the same.
(I Think) with baguettes, and really any project, prep is everything, Each stone fitted to it’s own hole, labeled & tracked. It’s such a pain when your doing it, but such a lifesaver when it comes to the final setting.
Best,
Jim

Hi Susan,
I apologize if I phrased that post as if you were inexperienced. Not my intention.
Setting baguettes is an painfully learned skill, one not everyone wants to take on. I come from an era ((70 is around the corner) where it was a necessary skill set . But really, the setting is not the issue, it’s knowing how to prepare the seat. One has to get the stones, in the case of diamonds memoing far more than you will use.
The pavilion and end cuts are the real problem areas. Fat pavilions leave little room for support bars + they change the optics of the stone so the centers look darker. Fat girdles make equal seating an issue. End cuts that are near vertical create issues too. So the first step, after doing the math to figure out the circumference (how many stones fit around the outside), Is to inspect the stones for consistency. Sapphires and rubies seem less prone to these variables, however you still need a supplier that is willing to either pick well or allow exchange rights…
Your career sounds fascinating, a lot of experience leading you to your expression in jewelry.
Best, Jim

Hi Jim,

No worries about the inexperience! I try to learn and not let pride get in the way but I didn’t want you to think I just thought,“You want the ring, I’ll make it for you!” Having never done anything before with metal.

Your explanation is great and much appreciated. It is very kind of you to share your experience. I really wish I had found jewelry and metal art when I was younger but it’s taken me this long to sometimes throw caution to the wind and try something that is a challenge.

I’d love to try platinum at some point. I think I will try in sterling and CZs to see how I manage that and if I feel good would try the real thing.

Amazing work Jim!

Susan

Jim

Fantastic video thanks for sharing.