Where next?

I’m finding that most artists must be entrepreneurs. The main benefit of the MFA is the ability to teach at the collegiate level. So if that doesn’t interest you, save your money. I also recommend paying attention to the people who are pointing out the difficulty of obtaining collegiate teaching jobs. My son in law got an MFA 5 years ago and this fall he will begin his first tenure track position at a community college. He has worked at least part time these five years both as an adjunct and in one-to-two year positions, but never a tenure track position. He was told that this would probably be the case. He has been paying back student loans all this time, and he had a full scholarship with a stipend! So it has not been easy.

A number of people have spoken highly of residencies, the Penland residencies, for example. You can make connections with a lot of professionals from all over the world in some of the residencies. One friend worked at Hoover and Strong for a couple of years while waiting for a college position.

If a solo studio is for you, develop social media skills. Two of the six galleries I worked with have gone out of business. More and more artists are selling directly to customers online. I generally set up a booth at a few local art/craft fairs, mainly to get direct feedback and to make connections with customers. My income comes mainly from galleries and online sales. There are as many different career paths as there artists. You may have to try more than one path at a time to see what will click for you. Good luck!

1 Like