Ways to minimize scratches on mirror finish?

Hey Guys!

I work a lot in silver and I can acheive beautiful mirror finish etc… However needless to say that almost even wiping with materials like toilet paper on a mirror finish will put tiny tiny scratches on a beatiful surface…

Ive come across much cheap jewelry that seem somewhat scratch resistant in this regard… I this some kind of plating technique, coating etc etc?

Is the scratches just a part of working with real 935 silver, or is there som sort of trick im missing. Only thing i can think of is heat hardening the silver a bit?

Lemme know your thoughts, best regards William

1 Like

hi,

i have some bright shiny, durable sterling silver jewelry…that is rhodium plated

julie

1 Like

Heat hardening would absolutely help. The harder the metal is, the better the polish you can achieve and maintain. If you search the archives here you’ll find a number of discussions of heat hardening, including instructions for doing it in a household oven if you have one that can get up to and maintain 600°F.

4 Likes

You can also run the jewelry through a rock tumbler with Stainless Steel shot and water with a drop of dish soap. I use a custom mix of Jeweler’s shot and pins used for cleaning out the primer pockets (small holes) on brass casings. This work hardens/burnishes the surface which helps with achieving a higher and more durable polish.

Just an afterthought: I also wonder if you have been depletion gilding your silver? If so, you’ve possibly created a layer of fine silver on the surface, which may be quite soft and more prone to scratching?

1 Like

hi,

on a related note, Reamers steamer is a godsend to blow off/ quick dry mirror finish pieces after the ultrasonics.

one of my most favored pieces of equipment…i bought used from a friend…

i had preciously bought and tried an atmospheric on demand type steamer, but it was not as good…

julie

2 Likes