Washing enamels

I don’t understand why the manufacturers of transparent enamels can’t wash the stuff themselves before they sell it. It would certainly save a lot of time for those wanting to use it, at a minimal cost to those making it. Is this just a case of “this is the way we’ve always done it”? In a time when we pour bottled salad dressings on pre-chopped vegetables, isn’t it clear that people will pay a little extra for convenience?

At this point, the cost of enamels is significant, and, I suppose if the manufacturers added in the cost of washing and drying each batch (including the filtration of water and/or the cost of distilled water), the cost of the enamels themselves would escalate. I don’t believe that the cost would be increased by just " little extra" amount. Washing takes very little time in my studio, and assures that I will achieve the clarity and transparency I require. It is also one of those times for meditating on what I
m choosing to do. . . a calmness before the enameling begins. It comes with the territory. So. . . my advice is, get over it. . . I did.

1 Like

The friction between the particles during transport and shipping would only create more dust that would contaminate the enamel. It’s not “impurities” that are being washed away -just very fine enamel that fires cloudy.

1 Like