Vortex ring

Just wanted to share my ring and get feedback. The only question I have is should the stone be proud on prongs, or set lower in with somehow hidden prongs. The diamond is 6 mm.

Hi Steve,

interesting design!

i think your question is a personal design preference.

i personally like the stone low as you have it…if you were to set it up higher, i think you would be using a tapered head, and therefore would also need to close up the vortex hole…possibly also giving it a somewhat domed profile…

regarding the prongs, it could be interesting to integrate them into the vortex concept…ie: perhaps have them swirl up, rather than just standing straight up…perhaps have an odd number…like 5…so that it is a less rigid formation, and more of a fluid visual…

the vortex looks layered…you could step layers up with the tallest layer twisting in slightly to captivate the stone…

perhaps the vortex pipes are angled more to help fascilitate the prong swirling up, ever so slightly, over the stone…

perhaps the inner swirls create a broken bezel…ie: not one continuous bezel, but rather say 5 sections, with gaps/ spaces in between each…

perhaps the bezel sections are not even a uniform length, but rather blend into the vortex design…

perhaps play with the pipes tapering…thicker on the bottom, thinner at the prong tip…perhaps using less pipes that are thicker at the base…

since the pipe swirl layout is organic, perhaps the pipes themselves can be cleaner and less organic…?…

fun idea…non- traditional

julie

4 Likes

Thank you so much, Julie! You feedback is very helpful. I made a second pass at it with your recommendations. Made it thinner at the top (still 0.9mm), now instead of prongs the stone is wrapped in the metal. The twists are free-floating so they can be bent. I also put an opening at the bottom for light, protect the culet, and to make it easier to clean.

I wonder how hard this will be to set…it isn’t as straight-forward as the prong setting. On the other hand, if the setter can fit the stone in without damaging it, just bend the arms over it and it is set.

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

Your concept is coming along nicely!

regarding the setting of the stone…you could drop an underbezel in there…attached to the swirl unit…something for the stone to seat into…

the prongs are integrated nicely into the vortex…i think only the padded tip of the prong should be “free”…with the rest/ as much as possible…being secure to the vortex unit…so that they dont catch and pull loose…

are you using a “push/ pull” SubD modeling program?…you could make a version with flower petals!

julie

2 Likes