Use of Glue-gone in wax carving

I have read references to the use of Glue-gone in successful wax carvings. Anyone have details or debunks?
Ron

When I worked with wax carving, I used stuff called Wax-Kleen and it smelled like oranges which I loved I see in the archives many examples of folks using Goo Gone for this purpose as well. Make sure you search the correct product name though :slight_smile:

Yes, I realized after the post that auto correct didn’t like the word goo! I will look for Wax-Kleen because I’d much rather smell oranges. Was it a final clean up step for you?
Thanks so much for your answer.
Best,
Ron

Ron,

I’ve used it and it works well i love making detailed waxes. i finish my waxes and then wait a week of so before investing pr sprueing them. The wax kleen softens the model. They become delicate and extremely vulnerable to dings and even fingerprints from any handling until the solvent has evaporated completely. It depends on the model. But it doesn’t fix a poorly finished model, it just finesses a decent one.

Eileen

1 Like

Thanks Eileen. I am going to give it a try. How do you apply it in order to get the smoothest surface?
Best,
Ron

Ya final finish, applied with a cotton swab or cloth.

:+1:

Ron,

I’ve used several applicators: fine brushes, q tips, nylons wrapped around something padded, a bit of sponge, maybe a torn tip of paper towel. The idea is to allow the liquid to soften - so that you can gently rub away scratches and imperfections, or just flow the liquid over the surface, and dab up any excess. Try the material on some samples before you go all in on an important wax.

It’s magical and it requires finesse.

Eileen

Many thanks!:+1: