"Setting Stones in Wax!"

Setting stones in wax is the ‘norm’ today and for many years into the future. I bought a 220 power digital microscope and used it exclusively for this setting topic. Many years ago wax setting was worked on in secret, what was so important?
The following group of photographs show exactly how this process holds the stone in place. BTW,

1. There must be no signs of dirt on the stones, if so, you will have metal casting on top of that stone. 2) Don’t bury the stone into the wax , it’ll be extremely cost prohibitive to remove them after casting.
  2. Examine every wax setting that you perform.
  3. Keep your warm fingers off of the wax, as your finger-heat could bend the wax. Put the wax on a wooden dowel.
  4. There is absolutely no need to bend over any wax, as the wax doesn’t bend.
  5. What keeps the stone in place? When the ‘wax-pen’ warms the stone, the actual weight of the stone will do it’s own placing into the wax, allowing the stone to rest in place. DO NOT PUSH THE STONE INTO THE WAX!
  6. All you do is to warm the stone, as it just might move around before cooling down!
  7. Make sure that none of the stones are sitting crooked, just use a little tool (?) & move the stone!
  8. How do you know when the stone IS IN THE WAX? When you can see a liquid forming underneath, that is the melting wax touching the stone, then just quickly remove your heating pen. When it cools, the stone will be locked into place… all this takes is a few seconds!

test2

w4

w11

w13

w11

w15

w17

w18

w19

w21

2 Likes

Jerry
Very cool. So you are just touching the wax pen to the top of the cz to transmit a bit of heat to the wax setting?
As always, thanks for sharing your years of wisdom & experience!!
Eileen

My answer to you is: “…just barely touching the stone, & if so, just
enough contact until you actually see the wax slowly melt like water
underneath!!”. Even the ‘heated-air’ of the tip of the pen will can
sometimes heat the stone!

• Don’t touch the wax, least you could destroy your wax-form!!! Please
    experiment first on a not needed wax-form to prevent any unforeseen
    problems!!!*

Gerry Lewy

1 Like

Jerry
Very cool. So you are just touching the wax pen to the top of the cz to transmit a bit of heat to the wax setting?
As always, thanks for sharing your years of wisdom & experience!!
Eileen

Eileen & everyone!
I’m going to be making more worthwhile comments to many of the questions &
requests of setting information. I have now a little line-up of requests to
now reply to. With the beginning of our Passover, I’ll try to get to them
as fast as I can…:>)

Gerry Lewy

Happy Passover to each and every one……

Andy “The Tool Guy” Kroungold
Director Tool Sales & Stuller Bench
Stuller Inc.
P 1-800-877-7777 ext 4191 or 4194