Tool to make a lip?


Check your local yellow pages for the sheet metal fabricator(s)
in your area. I’m sure they would be glad to tell you of the
tool and perhaps demonstrate it for you.


Hi Vince,

  Does anyone know of a tool with which I can curl over the
edge of a sheet of sheet metal to make a lip.  I think sheet
metal worker may use some thing. I want to know what it is
called and who carries it.  

I know the tool you’re looking for, however, I don’t know it’s
name or where to get it.You might ask at a local sheet metal or
heating & cooling shop.

Assuming you want to used it on relatively light gauge material,
you can make your own. Use a piece of steel about twice as thick
(or thicker) & 2 times wide as thick than the lip to be formed
(ex. lip width 1/8", metal, 1/4" thick, 1/2"wide). The length can
be any convenient length to work with, 4-6". Draw a line down
the center on the 1/4 side. Mark a spot on this line about 1/4"
from 1 end. Draw a line perpendicular and across the center line
at this point. Drill an 1/8" diameter through the piece at the
intersection of the 2 lines. For a really clean hole, ream it or
polish the inside. Cut the end from the bar at the perpendicular
line. The saw cut will go through the diameter of the hole.
Remove any burrs & polish the end of the tool. You now have a 1/2
round punch for rolling an 1/8" lip on the edge of sheetmetal.

Steel keystock from the hardware store can be used to make it.
It comes in various sizes for under $2.00 per 12" length.



Vincebt, the tool used to make a lip is called a “brake”, but I
don’t know off hand where to get a small one. Maybe someone else
has seen some very small “brakes”

Raymond C.

Hello Lipmaker! There is a machine in the sheet metal industry
called a Pittsburgh machine. If you contact a sheet metal outfit
they will have one.
Good luck!

You can do this with an hydraulic press and a bending brake
assembly. Susan Kingsley describes the procedure in her book,
“Die Forming for Metalsmiths and Jewelers.”

Lee Marshall also teaches it in his workshops on making boxes
with the press.


Grizzley tools in Washington State, Memphis, Tennessee, and
Boston(?) have two small brakes. If I remember correctly, they
are in the $200-400 range, but I can’t find my catalog to
confirm this. If interested, I will post a description and
Grizzley’s address. These tools are Chinese in origin, I
believe, so may be available in other parts of the world under
different brand names.

I seem to remeber this tool being called an Edge Rolling Mill
(or something along those lines). These roll a nice consistant
edge, but do tend to leave tool marks on the edge that was
rolled. For small jobs you are probably better off hammering the
edge to roll it.

Micro mart ( lists the following


A press bending brake for brass or other light sheet metals.
Makes bends up to 90 degrees (depending on how far you tighten
the press screws). Will bend up to .020" half
hard brass, 3" wide. Can also be used on plastic. Adjustable
depth guide permits duplication of bend
placement. Includes reversible steel die and instructions. A
beautifully made tool.

Product Code: 16101
Our Price 36.95 

I have no idea how good this is and I am not connected with the

Chunk Kiesling

Sorry to be so long to respond as I was away for a few days…

A company called Timesavers sells a small metal bending brake
for clockmakers which they claim bends up to 16 gauge sheet metal
with “clean smooth bends up to 90 degrees” Price is $37.50 US

phone number 1-800-552-1520
fax 1-800-552-1522

I only deal with them occasionally and do not know whether this
is a viable brake .


Terry Parresol

The tool used by sheet metal workers to curl over the edge of
sheet metal to make a lip is called a Burring Machine (I think it
is also called a jenny) - at least that is what they use to form
lips on circular objects. It has a couple of rollers that are on
gears and rotate when the handle is turned. You have to
gradually bring the the rollers closer together. The more
gradually the less problem with marking the metal. A similar
idea is used in the Wiring Machine which forms and closes a seam
that is strengthened by inserting wire.

I am not a sheet metal worker but have a few books on the
subject and I am stretching my brain back to tech colledge days.
I hope this helps.

Brian Symons